Weekend in NYC and the $150.00 bottle of Humalog

Friday as I was getting ready to go to the city for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary, I remember thinking, “don’t forget your eyedrops! oh, I’ll grab them from the fridge when I get the insulin”. Of course, the realization that I had neither my eyedrops for glaucoma nor the insulin didn’t hit me until hours later. I had about 100 units left, and I only average about 18-20 per day, so even a 35 or 40 unit prime would get me to Monday morning, but I kept worrying about the possibilities for disaster. I’ve read the blogs here about running out of insulin and having to go to the emergency room, etc.

I didn’t sleep well and my set was itching all day Saturday, so I couldn’t enjoy our visit to the Guggenheim (we love art). So when we got back to the hotel, we decided to go to the nearest drugstore, a Duane Reed on Park Ave. Their pharmacy was closed all weekend! What? Ok, so let’s ask the concierge. Call this one on 6th and 58th, sure, we have it, but it’s $150! So I second guess myself again, “do I really need it that badly?” After I thought about it, I said yes. We walked over there and just bought it. I felt so much better. My husband was just glad I’d stopped fretting, and we could continue our fun.

I can’t believe that’s what it really costs. I guess I won’t be doing that again any time soon.

Marie-
I can feel for you! I went to Mexico last April with my family and some friends (another family of 4). I’d planned for weeks. I had EVERYTHING packed. I had lists that I carried with me checking and double checking each step of the way. I had extra pump supplies, all the insulin, the blood glucose monitor, bathing suits for all 4, undies for the 7 days. Oh, you name it, I had it!

So, we get to the airport, check through security and, yes, I ALWAYS get pulled aside because I carry syringes for emergency purposes. At this point I realize what I’ve forgotten. The blood testing strips. Yep, I have the machine, but NO strips.

Needless to say, they do NOT carry the right brand of strips in Playa del Carmen MEXICO, but I was able to buy a new monitor and strips for a whopping $250.

Vacations. They’re great aren’t they!
Happy Anniversary from someone who TOTALLY understands. (forgotten diabetes supplies AND … my 15th anniv. was Dec. 5)

Erin

Congrats on the anniversary! So far I have been lucky (I know-dangerous thing to say) I’ve not fogotten anything…I usually way over pack, but that is the parnoid me after hearing of the trails of others away from home.

What pharmacy do you usually go to? When I’m traveling and forget supplies, I try to find the same chain of pharmacies so they can just transfer over the prescription. No muss, no fuss! If you’re traveling great distances and no longer have access to your pharmacy, try calling the hospital to see if they have an on-call doctor who can write you a prescription. Keep your receipt with you!! You may be able to submit it for reimbursement from your insurance company and just receive 1 less bottle of insulin during your next order. No harm in trying, right?

Unfortunately I use a mail order for my insulin. I should get it at Rite Aid like most of my other stuff, because it doesn’t even save me any money, and occasionally the mail order has lost my rx, and I have to go to Rite Aid to get some pills or whatever to tide me over. I’ll try to call them next week for a reimbursement. I would rather go to the dentist than get some help from my insurance. I guess the $20,000/year plan doesn’t get you much. thanks!

My endo gives me a script for the mial in and one to keep at the local rx for emergencies…they can hold the rx on file and you don’t have to fill it (at least safeway can) For my vials and pens of levimir and novalog in case of a pump failure when I cannot get ahold of him (think natural disaster or such–cause he gives out his cell phone number–so does my GP-I know I am very luicky!)

Yes! I’m going to do just that! Luv ya, Denise!

WOW - that’s right up there with the $425.00 Sinus infection! I hate insurance companies.

Wish i was in NYC i woulda bailed you out. Thats painful…

Ever have a meter misbehave on you and you end up buying a new one late at night with no prescription… Least now theres a cheap solution for users of Onetouch strips… Iv actually had to pick up a OneTouch mini because my meter was just not playing right even with a battery change and a different vial of strips…