Well-butrin and insulin sensitivity

Hey guys. Anyone else notice a change in basal requirements when started on Well-butrin? I noticed a need to cut back by 35-40% within a day, this has persisted for a week so I made a new setting on my pump for this change. Now I am having to run a temp rate on top of my decreased basal rates to keep from going low. I am grateful for the decreased need for insulin, which hopefully will help me lose weight easier, but I just feel like this is an odd side effect and want to know if others have had this same issue.

I am on MDI and was taking Lantus and Humalog when I started taking Welbutrin I have been taking it for a couple years now and did not see any change in my insulin requirements when I started taking it. I have not made any correlation since then either.

I switched from Lantus to Tresiba a few months ago. I have noticed with that change that I needed to reduce my Humalog use. If I do not cut back by at least one unit (I usually only take two or three) I will end up going low at about three hours. This never happened until I switched to Tresiba. It has remained consistent since I started.

I have seen other people doing the same switch and requiring at least that much of an increase. I haven’t really found anyone with my same experience. All that is to say; we are all different. It truly is amazing sometimes just how different we can be with all of the same situations and afflictions. The wonders of diabetes.

Sounds like yet another example of YDMV. By my reckoning this would be example number 385926738.

1 Like

Yeah, but I think you might be off by 10 or 12.LOL

1 Like

Well, I don’t have complete data. Some people are negligent about reporting.

1 Like

I’m on it and have cut back on insulin lately. But I don’t think it’s the meds, as I’ve been taking it for a while. In my case, at least, am guessing it’s the very hot weather affecting insulin absorption. For you, who knows? Our bodies are ever-changing experiments…