Well isn't this just special

I’m getting ready to send that letter of complaint off… it’s going to 11 different people, gonna have to buy more stamps. Well, I guess I’m stimulating the post office’s economic recovery! And the jobs of those 11 people who have to deal with folks like me.

You know, a while back I would have gotten really, really angry about this, then done nothing about it. Just let it slide and move on. I got mad this time, but not as angry, actually it was more of a focused determination not to get pushed around. So here I am.

I thought I’d blog about my experiences here with complaining about a medical professional. I’m tempted to put up the letter I’m sending, it took me 5 pages to cover everything that has happened. If I put it up tho, I wouldn’t be comfortable doing it unless I redacted all the names and such, guess I could replace them with the job titles. I’m just worried about liability issues with throwing up a big long letter which is basically about a single individual. I’ll think about that a little more.

Have a great day!
Scott

Hi Scott,
It’s your right to share the letter in the community. However, I would definitely recommend redacting all names, etc.

Thanks Manny, that what I was thinking too…
Redacted_Letter.PDF
Here’s the scrubbed letter… I went over it about 3 times, think I got all the identifying info out… Enjoy!

wow! you did have it rough! your letter was very well put and should easily get your point across to those who read it. good luck with the continuing process =)

Cathy,

I’m proud to say that I haven’t bitten off anyone’s head yet. I almost did for the CDE that was involved, but calmed down before I really got going when I realized that the situation just wasn’t worth the energy it would take to do it.

The whole thing is just frustrating because I really just don’t need anyone else giving me more problems. I am capable of creating enough of my own, thank you very much!

/wink
Scott

Sugarrbabie,

There is a very fine line between persistence, perseverance and stupidity. I think think I cross that line alot

Scott:

Whew! You’ve been through a LOT! AND held your temper admirably!

The one thing that the educator needs to learn is that, when someone is learning something new and as important as operating a pump and dosing themselves with life-saving/threatening medicine, they DO need a lot of hand-holding. Some more than others. I am on the MiniMed 722 also and really got more support from Medtronic than I did from the DR office. Face it, doctors don’t often know much about the equipment. Mine handed me off to Medtronic immediately. Even though I didn’t have the severe problems you had, I still had plenty of questions for the Medtronic nurse that weren’t covered (or I did hear it) in our training. If she wasn’t available, I called Metronic. Sometimes I asked stupid … no wait! … no question is STUPID, just stupid if not cleared up. Anyway, SOMEONE always helped me that very moment or got back to me within hours.

I don’t think you crossed any line in this situation. After all, it IS your life you’re playing with … not some da** CDEs ego!

By the way, I’m on the Quickset infusion sets. I’ve never had the problems that you’ve had, though. I do get “occlusion” messages although they are usually when I have high numbers after being “naughty.” Of course, the difference is that I may have more flab around my middle than most people. Maybe it’s that. I don’t know.

Whatever. Send the letter and sit back and wait. BUT, not for too long. !!! Lois La Rose

wow scott…what a letter! What happened is wrong on so many levels and I’m so proud of you for writing this …it is VERY well written…

I wish I had done a bit more advocating for myself after leaving 3 endo’s throughout the years…writing more in detail to explain why I was leaving…now it is hard to remember all the tiny details…

I hope you get the response you very much so deserve!

you know, as if this whole thing hasn’t just been fun enough…

Every once in a while, my minimed bolus wizard will skip the screen where you enter how many carbs you’re going to eat. Finally got around to calling medtronic (my sil-serter had just broken too…) and they’re gonna send me a replacement pump. Less than 3 months into this. You know, I spend more time, it seems, dealing with the administrative things than I actually do managing my disease. This is how bureaucracies are born you know… Maybe I can get a bailout

Lois,

Your comment made me realize something, if it hadn’t been for folks like you right here on tudiabetes, I probably would not have continued to the point where things started to work. The support here has been incredible

Jamie,
Thanks for the feed back on the letter, that is about it’s fifth iteration. I’m really not looking for a response for me, just something to prevent it from happening again. Personally, I’d like to see random followups with the CDE’s patients by hospital staff for at least 12 months to make sure behavior has changed

Thanks,
Scott

oh, and I got all eleven letters and envelopes printed up and stamped… and away we go

Just got around to looking at your welll written letter. You stuck to the facts in a well organized fashion and your frustration shows though. Did you get any satisfaction as a result of your letter - aside from writing it?

Yes, actually… the patient summary that the CDE added to my records was redacted… i.e. physically removed from my medical record. The practice manager at the office, a really nice lady, told me that my letter resulted in a complete review and revision of patient communication protocols. So hopefully, others benefited as well