What are keytones?

Hi,
I’ve heard this word now twice but have no idea what it means?? Can someone tell me??
Thanks,
Amy:)

Hi Amy

Ketones are, well, um…
Here, read this! Or this!

HTH

ketone
a chemical produced when there is a shortage of insulin in the blood and the body breaks down body fat for energy. High levels of ketones can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis and coma. Sometimes referred to as ketone bodies.

ketonuria (key-toe-NUH-ree-ah)
a condition occurring when ketones are present in the urine, a warning sign of diabetic ketoacidosis.

ketosis (ke-TOE-sis)
a ketone buildup in the body that may lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. Signs of ketosis are nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.

I found this after I submitted the question for anyone who’d like to know the answer :slight_smile:

Well put Amy :wink: I would like to explain how we were told at the hospital when first diagnosed.

Insulin helps the glucose feed our body cells and gives the cells some energy and also stores fat in them. When the body has trouble getting some insulin to feed the cells, to feed themselves they eat away at their stored fat and from that “reaction”, they secrete a chemical into the blood that are called ketone (or keytone).

If the situation is not rectified, then you know the rest :wink: I liked the drawing they gave us to explain that reaction, it stuck with me ever since.