What are your bad diabetic habits?

I know I personally have a lot of bad habits when it comes to diabetes. I do not mean bad habits that are life threatening, just those silly things that we do.
My bad habits lately include:
1.) Never changing my lancet.
2.) Disconnecting my pump when I am low and forgetting to reconnect.
3.) Using the same fingers when I check my bg.
4.) Waiting until last minute to change my set.
5.) Never throwing away my strips.

What are your bad diabetic habits?

Hmmm, I wouldn't consider any of those particularly bad, although once I drove about 15 miles away from my house before I realized I'd forgotten my pump, which was annoying. I was 16 when I was DX'ed and read "Beyond Good and Evil" a couple of years later and it made an impression on me as a way to avoid getting hung up on guilt or remorse about things. I think it can be useful to discard "bad" with diabetes, maybe diabetes itself is "bad" but, once it's there, there's nothing to do with it but kick its butt.

Mine are eating in-n-out double doubles and not watching my portion sizes at dinner.

1. Never changing my lancet (though I still insist that this isn't bad as far as bad habits go)
2. Using the same 3 fingers for testing
3. Eating carbs when they're more convenient than other foods that need to be packed and/or prepared

The worst diabetic habit I've picked up is not being diplomatic (or just keeping my mouth shut) when I see another T2 heading down what I consider to be the wrong path.

Well, I didn't have any until I joined TuD.

Now, I don't change my lancet hardly ever, I no longer swab my finger with an alcohol pad before testing, I lick the rest of the blood off now rather than recleaning with said alcohol pad, I've been injecting this weekend with the same pen needle over and over.

Curse you TuD, curse you!

What?!?!??!?

A double-double is just about a perfect diabetic meal. Calories mostly fat and protein. Skip the fries, have a diet coke, and it really isn't nutritionally that bad a lunch -- for a diabetic.

Snacking before bed. Guilty as charged.

Man, this recent holiday weekend was a three day blowout of bad (eating) habits.

Amazingly, I was able to keep the BG mostly in line. However, my TDD over those 3 days doubled!!

Most of my bad habits involve food.

Running my Omnipod waaaay past the 36hr expiration. Finally changed the last one 8 hrs after it expired and right as it was squeezing out the last drop of insulin left in it.

Doesn't the alarm go nuts by then?

I'm guessing that was a typo by Christopher... the pod expires at 72 hours (3 days). It continues to operate for another 8, with a nag alarm (4 beeps) every hour. At 8, it goes full PNW screech owl.

You’re right. Typo. It’s 72hrs. Never made it to the screech owl phase. Must have changed it right before then. Will have to give it a try. :slight_smile:

I honestly didn't notice the typo. Yeah, the nag alarm isn't bad. I thought it went full screech owl sooner.

My understanding is the 3-day expiration is an FDA requirement, based in the current policy limitation of 72 hours for an infusion site. Same reason tubed-pump infusion sets are also supposed to be changed at least every 72 hours, even though the resevoirs on some are bigger than the pod, and the pump just keeps on pumping.

The batteries in the pod still have plenty of charge on them after 3 days. I've taken many pods apart to study them, and in all cases the batteries had at least an estimated 50% left (usually quite a bit more).

It's a very clever design -- about as low power as you can get. While I can't see inside the microcontroller and the embedded code, I'm certain the transmitter -- the biggest power hog in the pod -- is switch on and off, only turned on when the pod is contacted by the PDM to communicate.

I would love to be able to hack the thing and control it with my phone via Bluetooth. As elegant and advanced as the pod is, the PDM is ridiculously archaic. It's huge, clunky and the user interface is primitive. It reminds me of my first Blackberry from 10 years ago.

Not doing my insulin before meals,
Not testing as much as I should

People are probably sick of my rants, but personally I don't believe in "bad" and "good" behavior in adults. I believe we make choices in life and there are certainly many choices in diabetes. We choose how we eat, given many factors. We choose how we exercise (or don't as the case may be!). We choose whether to manage our D largely ourselves or with close doctor/endo/cde support. We even choose our A1C (or try to!). We choose how often to test, how often to change lancets,how often to change infusion sets, etc. We make all our choices based on the information we have (much of which we have acquired right here!), and the consequences we are willing to live with. We can even choose to neglect our D for a day, or longer, and hopefully the consequences we experience is somebody kicking our butt. Yes, there are people who totally fail to make choices at all, or don't believe they actually have any choices, but those people, imho, are most likely suffering from Depression or other emotional/mental conditions and need to choose to get help.

I suffered from hypos long before I was diagnosed with diabetes, but it applies both ways.

Hmmm, well, Mom's always on my case about:

1.Checking my BGs more consistently

2.Not refilling my purse/desk/car with food/glucose tabs

3.Too focused at work to catch a low, then running to the vending machine due to #2

4.Not preparing my lunch, and ordering healthier dishes from Chili's or Dominos (healthiest places near my work)