What CGMS system to get? I know this has been asked before just not for awhile

Well the pain is ok, really no problem but the lack of sensing the low is really frustrating…

Rick

Hi James,

I’m currently using each sensor for about 6 to 7 days. Then I recharge the transmitter for anywhere from a few minutes to maybe an hour and that’s worked very well for me. They have told me that about every 2 weeks, the transmitter should be charged for a much longer period of time than just a few minutes. Still, I’ve been extremely pleased by the length of time this transmitter has lasted. So you didn’t replace the transmitter?

Doretta
Fit4D Fitness Coach

Hi Suzanne,

That would be great! The CGM has really been a life-saver for me! I’m a very sound sleeper and I keep the CGM alarm set on vibrate, so sometimes I don’t hear it immediately. But the nice thing is that the alarm will keep going off, until I actually turn it off.

Once you have the sensor data, it will give you and your doctor a much clearer picture of what’s happening with your blood glucose levels throughout the day and night. Then it’s just a matter of figuring out the best changes to make with the insulin to avoid the low blood sugars and balance everything out.

And you’re right…It is another piece of equipment. But I’ve found that the advantages of wearing a sensor truly outweigh any of the disadvantages. I can deal with the hassles of having something else attached to me, to help avoid severe low blood sugars as well as high blood sugars.

Doretta
Fit4D Fitness Coach

We use Dexcom and highly recommend it. We have been using it since last summer and have been very satisfied with the ease of use, customer service and accuracy. We looked very carefully at the other 2 systems when we started the cgm, and are VERY glad we chose Dexcom. We have met many people who use the other systems and the Dexcom was absolutely the Best choice we could have made in picking a CGM for us. If given the chance again , we would go with Dexcom , with absolutely no reservations. The higher the bg, the wider the variance compared to the cgm, but once a bg level is over 200 a fingerstick has to be done to get a # for dosing anyway… What is most important is that we know the BG is high and needs a correction. No system is perfect and every system has its flaws, but of the 3 we are very glad we chose Dexcom. Here is the link to the most recent study by the Barbra Davis center
This study reaffirmed what we have seen in real life when looking at the dex vs navigator.
All subjects wore both sensors concurrently over three consecutive 5-day CGM sessions (15-day wear). On Days 5, 10, and 15, subjects participated in an 8-h in-clinic session where measurements from the CGM systems were collected and compared with YSI measurements every 15 min. At the end of Day 5 and 10 in-clinic sessions, the sensors were removed, and new sensors were inserted for the following CGM session despite the SEVEN system’s recommended use for up to 7 days. Results: The mean absolute relative difference (ARD) for the two CGM devices versus YSI was not different: 16.8% and 16.1% for SEVEN and Navigator, respectively (P = 0.38). In the hypoglycemic region (YSI value <80 mg/dL), the mean ARD for SEVEN was lower than for Navigator (21.5% vs. 29.8%, respectively; P = 0.001). The data analyses were similar when compared with self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) values. Thirteen additional Navigator replacement devices were issued compared to two for the SEVEN. A total of three versus 14 skin reactions were reported with the SEVEN and Navigator insertion area, respectively. Conclusions: Glucose measurements with the SEVEN and Navigator were found to be similar compared with YSI and SMBG measurements, with the exception of the hypoglycemic range where the SEVEN performed better. However, the Navigator caused more skin area reactions.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19243265?ordinalpos=1&itool=…

Hi Karen,

The CGM isn’t meant to replace BG checks with a meter. Minimed and its reps are all very clear that you should always back up any sensor alarms for low or high blood sugars with a BG meter test. Before I started with the CGM, I probably tested anywhere from 12 to 15 times per day. Now it’s probably closer to 15 to 18. But I’m still very pleased to have the benefit of all the extra sensor data. It’s been very helpful to me in adjusting my insulin.

As for the low blood sugars during and after exercise, I’ve had some problems with that as well. But again, the CGM gives a very clear picture of what’s happening, while I exercise. My exercise is mostly strength training. And the sensor data during that time, along with BG checks about every 15 to 20 minutes, has worked extremely well for me. I had many more problems with low blood glucose levels during exercise, before I started with the CGM.

If low blood sugars are always a problem for you during exercise, there are several options, including lowering your basal insulin a few hours before exercise, and/or disconnecting your pump during the exercise.

Doretta
Fit4D Fitness Coach

Hi Rick,

It sounds like it could still be a calibration issue. I’m sure that the reps at Minimed have told you about this, but if you calibrate using a BG that’s rising or falling, then the sensor information that you get afterwards might be “bad data”. If so, then the sensor values won’t necessarily be accurate.

The calibration must be done using a “stable” BG, which is why they recommend calibrating on a blood test just before a meal and/or when you wake up in the morning. And I know these won’t always be ideal numbers, but sometimes they’re actually pretty good, at least from what I’ve found.

I would recommend that you keep using the sensor and maybe add in more frequent BG tests, at least for a while, to see whether that helps. For instance, if you had breakfast at 7 am, then you might try running a BG test at 8 am and then again at 9 am. I don’t do this every single day, of course. But last month, I was at a conference for a couple of days, and I wanted to see whether I could get more blood glucose readings in my target range. So I kind of set a goal for myself. Every half hour, I would check the sensor screen and compared that with how I actually felt, and then if needed, I followed it up with a BG meter check. And the results were pretty amazing!

Before the conference, my number of blood glucose levels in the target range was running about 50 or 60%. But at the conference, with me checking the sensor screen about every half hour or so, I ended up with between 83 and 85% in the target range! And many would consider that micro-management, but I really wanted to prove a point to myself. I was away from home and I wanted to see whether I could really work on controlling my blood glucose levels. That convinced me that it really is possible to make a huge difference on my blood glucose control.

Doretta
Fit4D Fitness Coach

Hi Suzanne, you’re in a position (since you have a Ping) to evaluate all CGMS systems on the market to determine if, and which one, would work best for you.

For me…since I have a MM 522 pump, and didn’t want to deal with having another device to act as a receiver (since the 522 acts as a CGMS sensor receiver), I was pretty much stuck going that way (for better or worse).

Like some others who have responded - I’ve found CGMS to be a valuable tool in the arsenal, albeit an imperfect one at this point, for monitoring glucose trends that can be verified, on a selective (vs. random) basis, through BS testing. Good luck!

Thank you for posting this study. I’m looking at getting a Dexcom in the fall.

Steve,

I am going to ask my endo if her office will help me try out the different systems but I am leaning towards the Dexcom because it will integrate with the Animas pump soon. When I chose a pump I almost went with MM because of the integration but I liked the other features the Animas offered more. I plan on testing as much as I do now (or more) when I get a system so I know that will help me see the data in a more real, usable way.

Thanks for your feedback, I am going from being nervous to excited about this whole process!

If you go with the Dexcom, make sure you get the brand spanking new one and not the first model. The new one can show fast-moving trends in blood glucose (indicated by one or two arrows pointing up or down) and the old one cannot, which is a feature on the Medtronic system I find extremely valuable.

I am also a devoted Dexcom fan. The customer service is top notch, and the Dexcom Seven system has helped me push my A1C down to 4.6. The Seven sensors outlast the guaranteed seven-day life by as much as a factor or three (21 days) if you don’t have too dramatic variations in glucose levels. Go for it!

Better to be as objective as possible on your evaluation of CGMS systems if you have the chance to evaluate more then one. From personal experience it’s very advantageous getting one that uses the pump as a receiver. Great news about Dexcom plans for CGMS integration with Animas!

Wish I had more “worldly” pump/CGM product experience than just MM (guess I live a sheltered life), but I’ve been using MM pumps & related products a long time (22+ years). Good luck!

My dexcom rep told me today I would get the new plus system if I get the system now. I just have to figure out how to pay the deductible on my insurance, regardless of what brand CGMS I get!

A year researching my own ups and downs on Dexcom was the best year of my researching-diabetes-life. With it I pulled out of unawareness and stayed out. It always was ahead on any lows, and I learned that lightweight me only needed 6 grams, not the 15 grams they always recommend, to get me out of any lows. No more overcorrections!
The new Dexcom plus sounds great - and the small bore needle for the sensor placement keeps me from wincing at the thought of putting a new one on.

I am here to tell you that the MM CGMS works great. If you already have a MM pump why would you even think of looking at another system unless you like lots of tackle attached to your body. I use my sensors 12-18 days and get excellent results. If you are looking at CGMS to be a cure for lows or highs you may be disappointed because the technology is still in the infant stage. If you are looking to have excellent control over your BG and have good A1C results along with basal rates that work really well then CGMS is for you.

I will say there have been times when I want to throw the CGMS out the window but once you learn the ins and outs you will love it. If you have a fear of gadgets then I am not sure this is something you will want to take on.

The MM CGM produces an abundant amount of data. Once you start looking at the data you can see the trends and where you may need to tweak your boluses or basal rates. When I see spikes everyday at the same time you will know that you ate something like breakfast or maybe not. Maybe your BG goes up every morning starting at 4am, this could be the dawn effect so you up your basal rate 2 hours before the occurrence by very small margins and watch it to see if it corrects itself.

I myself really like the MM CGM, like I said in the beginning I get long life from my sensors and very rarely have problems. Since using CGM my A1c has been 5.6 and 5.8. I feel that I am getting my insurance company’s moneys worth!!!

Dave

Dexcom user. Love it. Would choose it again if i had to choose. It does catch lows. Dont doubt your decision it is a good one. I also have an animas pump and I eagerly await the all in one system, but the extra reciever is really not a problem. Pros far outweigh the cons.

Hi Suzanne, I just wanted to add my opinion from my personal experience. I tried the MM CGM with my pump a while back and did not have luck with it at all. I gave it 3 different tries and none of them gave me good results at all. I was discouraged but tried the dexcom anyway and I actually love it! I have never had any problems with accuracy and the sensor/transmitter is much more comfortable for me to wear. The only drawback is having another device (the receiver) but it’s not attached to you so that makes some difference. Dexcom would be my recommendation although I’m sure you’ve received many mixed ones already. Good luck deciding!

I’ve have very good success with the MM 522/722 CGM (The 2nd generation Minilink transmitter. Not the 1st generation wishbone transmitter one) system. But the decision on which one to get is a complex one, and since Suzanne doesn’t have a MM pump she can objectively evaluate systems on the market.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I am going to try out the different ones on the market and choose soon. Now I just need to figure out how the heck to pay for the darn thing! Turns out I haven’t met my deductible for the year so I am stuck paying out of pocket for this :frowning: It’s hard to pay for a CGMS when you work an internship and do not get paid…grrrrrr!