What do you eat for breakfast?

I am not a big breakfast lover so for me 3 cups of coffee with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 adds up to 27 grams of carbs, and sometimes a breakfast bar or a yogurt but I am usually lower after breakfast than before.

I'm still on the Egg Beaters, broccoli, spinach and sometimes chia seed omlettes, with some granulated garlic and red pepper flakes. I've switched from 8G of carb lighter bread to about 15G of carbs but I'm running in the AM this summer and it seems like it's making my BG crash out after the post run spike goes away so I don't mind the extra food to sort of hold steady and the Ezekiel bread is pretty yummy so maybe 20G of carbs?

I am a long time low carb-er, and my breakfast is always the same - two scrambled eggs and three pieces of bacon. Since protein gets converted to glucose eventually, I bolus 1 unit as a combo bolus (over 2 hours).

Are you saying that you inject your bolus insulin an hour after you eat (a very high carb) breakfast? Are you usually in range two hours after eating (because of the exercise?)

Wow, Maybe I should start exercising!

I HATE mornings. They so suck. No matter where my blood glucose is at wake up or what I do, I spend some days(random, but not everyday, which is even freakier) correcting. I am a good diabetic wbo pays attention, but have not been below 140 all day, even with exercise, bolus corrections... Am totally frustrated.

I HATE breakfast and mornings. I have eaten 60 carbs today (1:10 ratio). Have taken 11 units of insulin with corrections. OH! have almost taken twice what shoud be required? I at 161 three hours after the meal.

Have really had it. So tired of all this...

*2 eggs 1 oz of cheese and some hot sauce green or red and coffee. Total carbs about 5

*1/2 cup oatmeal (dry measure) with table spoon butter and two strips of bacon (crispy)
some times a boiled egg and coffee. Total carbs about 30

*One Joseph's flax, Oat Bran Peta with one fried egg and slice of cheese and coffee. Total carbs about 5.

You need to check and see if your BG spiks with just a decaf coffee or hot water...your spike may be hormonal and triggered by simply starting to eat. I can just think about food in the morning and my BG can spike 60 points...you may need to have a much higher I:C or bolus as soon as you get out of bead. My morning I:C is almost double what I need for a evening meal.

We love to eat these low carb pancakes. http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html?m=1

2 eggs, 3 tbsp oatmeal (1/4 cup), 2 tbsp oat bran, 1 tbsp golden flax flour, 1 cup milk (made into oatmeal), 1 small banana or 2 tbsp grated coconut, a handful of almonds. It is what I have everyday, and yes, it is a lot of carbs, and I don't care. I make sure to have enough insulin and get my housework immediately after breakfast so the exercise helps lower BG as well.

I wouldn't use the word 'harder'. I guess it is a little, but not once you're aware.

It just varies, and you don't exactly mind because it effects how you feel, so in a weird and silver lining viewpoint way, you are almost forced to keep a really healthy and simple diet going.

My best advice would be, workout and never stop. Body weight and insulin go hand in hand, and it can get pretty tricky to back peddle on weight when you're low carbing and crying out for a burrito :D

I either eat a bowl of Kashi Berry Blossoms cereal...25 gm carbs with a cup of unsweetened almond milk...1 gm carb or I will eat 1 pack of Oat Fit no sugar added maple and brown sugar oatmeal with flax seeds...18 gm carbs. Both of these I tend to be able to bolus for and be right back in range two hours later. But several other cereals will spike me pretty bad and I haven't tried other oatmeals, I've found one that works for me and that I like, lol why go messing around with what works.

It would be interesting to see how a CGM would chart that kind of behavior.
I used to have to slowly drink a bottle of juice for every workout I did.

Much much more if it were cardio than weights, which always made me question the weight-loss aspects for me with cardio. I'd finish my run with a stomach absolutely full of 500 calories of apple juice.

Working out on a full stomach of food wasn't an option as it made me so nauseous.

I am exactly the same way, just putting some sweet and low in my coffee will send my BG up 40-60 points. My I:C ratio at breakfast is nearly twice as much as my dinner time one but it is still a work in progress.

I have had that experience too. Eventually I had to adjust my basal rate and run at a predictable time so that I could get by just eating 2 glucose tabs before the run (3 miles) and actually get a caloric deficit going. But even then it isn’t an exact science and it doesn’t work every time. But yeah, I agree it is quite frustrating.

You "aim for 270" Yikes! Well, to each their own!

I have about 30 carbs for breakfast these days: a mocha latte made with 1/2 cup 2% milk (a big splurge) and a slice of multigrain toast with 1 T peanut butter. Sometimes I sprinkle on a tiny bit of cinnamon sugar (under 1/4 tsp) if I'm getting bored with the peanut butter. If I don't have time to make the toast I substitute 1/2 oz of toasted almonds. I drink the mocha slowly, and as long as I don't start the day high I don't have any big spikes.

I was on a diet once that said you shouldn't eat if your not hungry. Well I'm usually not hungry in the morning. It's usually just black coffie and an early lunch for me. By the way this was a reputable diet program sponsored by and paid for by my employer.

Gary S

Yup. That's why I was beaten into submission by weights rather than cardio.
Even though I'd end up with roughly the same amount of carbs ingested with weights, I'd get that 1-2 day muscle burn that felt like it kept my engine running in a higher gear and allowed me to maintain a weight level.

I'm about 15 pounds above what I'd like to be right now and I'm hoping to get back into it.
Carpal tunnel in both hands (likely due to the weights), followed by a back injury completely stopped everything.

Love the look of these. I'll try them over the weekend.

Surely you feel like absolute poop if you allow yourself to go that high before bringing it down with exercise alone?

It would feel to me like working out in wet sand.

thanks breaddrink. ive only been high twice since dx (like over 200) and it was after exercise in the morning and felt TERRIBLE! I cant believe i used to feel normal like that.
working out has become a religion for me but ive just sprained my foot cycling and am laid up for at least another two weeks. totally obsessing with turning all insulin resistant. i dont know WHAT i thought about before diabetes...