What I thought was Dooms Day

I suppose I should introduce myself and tell my story of my diagnosis. I am 27 years old and I live in the mountains of New Hampshire, where I am currently in Nursing School. I was diagnosed with T1 when I was 7 years old in July of 1991. My older sister also has T1 and was diagnosed at the age of 7 as well. I remember this one day I was out at a restaurant with my parents and we were waiting for our food to be served. The glasses of water they gave us were pretty big; before our food came out, I drank mine and my parents glasses of water and they refilled them and I drank another glass. When I saw the scared look on my parents face, I knew something was wrong. Of course, after drinking all that water I had to go to the bathroom about every 10 min; I had also lost some weight and wasn’t feeling well. I believe my mother brought me to the Dr either the next day or later that week and they took a test and of course it came back positive for T1. I remember I used to watch my mom give my sister her shots and I would ask her if I would get Diabetes, and of course her answer was no. It was tough growing up with T1 as a kid going to school and having parties with all the cakes and snacks that I now couldn’t eat anymore, but as I got older I got used to it and I had some great teachers who would bring in sugar free candy for me. Halloween was always the hardest holiday for me since I was only allowed to eat a couple pieces of candy after I got home from trick or treating. I went to Clara Barton Camp for girls with Diabetes out in Western Mass for 9 years. I was a camper for 7 of those years and a counselor for 2. I loved it there and made some good Diabetes friends and that is where I learned about the pump. The summer I was 16 I called my mom up on her birthday and told her I want the pump. When I got home from camp, a sales person from Minimed came to our house and showed us the pump and how it works and my sister and I both got the pump; I would never go back to shots. A few years ago, I got depressed and sick of Diabetes and I stopped taking care of myself and developed DKA and almost lost my life. It was very upsetting and scary but I have made such a big positive change in my life since then. I am much more on top of it and decided to go to nursing school so I can help other people the way the nurses in the hospital helped me. I was also recently diagnosed in the last couple years with Hypothyroid and this past summer with Celiac. It has been a big change for me but it is going really well. I try to look at everyday as a blessing that I can live with this disease and that I am lucky I can take care of it. That is my story; I hope you all enjoyed it and I look forward to meeting all of you :slight_smile:

DKA makes u think huh?? It did me. Glad to have u here with us.!!!

I’m so glad to hear that you are going to be a nurse. Congratulations for turning it all around. Cheers! Joanne

Good for you going to nursing school. I’m sure you will make a great impact on those you work with, mentor, and treat. Keep up the good work!!

You have such a wonderful and positive attitude, it will take you far as a nurse. Welcome to TuD !!!

Thanks guys :slight_smile: Nursing school is a lot of work but I am loving every second of it :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your story Deb! You’ll make a wonderful, empathetic nurse. Glad you’re back on track.

Welcome! What a wonderful story. I have connections to NH and have much extended family that still live in your area.