What is it with White Rice?

I bolus every time I eat. I count carbs and am extremely diligent. However, about twice a month, my boyfriend and I get Thai food, which usually comes with white rice. Why does this make my bloodsugar spike no matter how little I eat and how much insulin I do? Frustrating!

For me, white rice is gram for gram of carb basically the same as table sugar.

Welcome to the "impossible foods" club! We all have foods that we just can't bolus for accurately (see the food graveyard thread!). Rice is one of those foods for many of us. I figured out early on that I just couldn't eat it anymore; exactly as you said, "no matter how little I eat and how much insulin I do". Yep it's frustrating but after awhile you just "get the message" and find something else to eat. You can still enjoy Thai food, just skip the rice!

Eating rice is almost the same as eating raw sugar

GI and GL for Common Foods

Food GI Serving Size Net Carbs GL
Peanuts 14 4 oz (113g) 15 2
Bean sprouts 25 1 cup (104g) 4 1
Grapefruit 25 1/2 large (166g) 11 3
Pizza 30 2 slices (260g) 42 13
Lowfat yogurt 33 1 cup (245g) 47 16
Apples 38 1 medium (138g) 16 6
Spaghetti 42 1 cup (140g) 38 16
Carrots 47 1 large (72g) 5 2
Oranges 48 1 medium (131g) 12 6
Bananas 52 1 large (136g) 27 14
Potato chips 54 4 oz (114g) 55 30
Snickers Bar 55 1 bar (113g) 64 35
Brown rice 55 1 cup (195g) 42 23
Honey 55 1 tbsp (21g) 17 9
Oatmeal 58 1 cup (234g) 21 12
Ice cream 61 1 cup (72g) 16 10
Macaroni and cheese 64 1 serving (166g) 47 30
Raisins 64 1 small box (43g) 32 20
White rice 64 1 cup (186g) 52 33
Sugar (sucrose) 68 1 tbsp (12g) 12 8
White bread 70 1 slice (30g) 14 10
Watermelon 72 1 cup (154g) 11 8
Popcorn 72 2 cups (16g) 10 7
Baked potato 85 1 medium (173g) 33 28
Glucose 100 (50g) 50 50

The table below shows values of the

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index#ixzz2Jsx5NYTA

For me, any food that is readily absorbed like sugar, I make sure that I wait 15 to 20 minutes to eat after I bolus. As for white rice, I have switched to brown rice which is not significantly different from white rice (carb wise), but the glycemic index is just different enough that I can handle it if I give myself the 15 to 20 minute lead time.

Some foods though, just don't work for me so I understand. (It's oatmeal for me.)

While rice is certainly one of those foods that is "almost impossible" to dose for, it might also be added ingredients to the Thai food. I love Chinese, but the corn starches that is used, along with a lot of the sauces for the food, is definately a blood sugar spike waiting to happen.

Oatmeal, I go super high over bolus and then drop like a ton of bricks. Oatmeal, all cereals, rice, all on a list of foods I avoid.

Yes, white rice is definitely a problem. I typically make sure I have a MAXIMUM of 1/2 cup, then I double the carb count. From there, using the pump, I use the multiwave function and give the first half of the bolus right away, with the remainder over the next 3 hours. I always follow up with lots of testing and adjustments as needed.

Any Oriental food is problematic. There are hidden carbs, so it may not always be the white rice. If you are on a pump, I suggest a larger bolus and a square wave. I use that for Thai and Chinese and it works well for me!

Rice is hard, but check out the carbs in PAD THAI!!

We each respond to things in our own individual way. I am VERY carb sensitive; eating white rice sends me through the roof. Might as well just eat a bowl of sugar. On the other hand, I know people who can handle it, at least in modest amounts. We each have our own personal physiology. C'est la vie.

Or you can learn to make various Asian foods at home so you have control over what you put in it, from a simple stir fry to authentic Thai dishes. You can use all natural ingredients and skip cornstarch or sugar in sauces, and of course, that pesky rice!

There's also frequently a lot of hidden sugar in Thai food. Tom yun gung soup. for example, has a lot of sugar in it. So it may not be the rice at all.

Ruth

Because it is evil.

Thanks everyone!! I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one. :)

I imagine it's frustrating. I can eat it, but I need much insuline (50% more). May be it's not only rice but for example the sauce? Last time I take a walk when the bloodsuger is high and it really works. But may be you have tried it.....It also takes a bit stress away (when I am frustrated it's getting higher and higher!). .I am sorry for you and I hope you will find out what spikes you bloodsuger.

White rice is a problem for most people. On the old exchange system, they said 1/2 cup was equal to one read exchange, but then they lowered it to 1/3 cup.
I pretty much don't eat it. I once considered keeping a small batch in the fridge for treating hypos, because a tablespoon will bump me up quickly.
Same for brown rice.

it sure as hell is! hahaha!

Boiled white rice sends glucose vertical. Make fried rice and that helps slow the stuff down.

White rice is worse than any other food for me. I must be very efficient at digesting it. I'd swear it also takes more insulin per gram of carbohydrate, e.g. a unique insulin to carb ratio. Almost like it was greater than 100% carbohydrate (which is impossible of course).