What is the distribution per hour of Humalog action?

ok, so u are figuring 10% for the first hour and 20% for the second. I had approximated a distribution of 20%, 50%, 20% and 10% for hours 1, 2, 3, 4. Can u point out where u came up with YOUR figures? THANKS!

I did it by visualizing the graph, which was tricky and I’m not sure my method is valid.

See Figure 1 in this paper.

when I look at figure 1, to me it looks like there is 65% IOB remaining at 2 hours. It’s so hard for me to analyze that thing with much accuracy and the item I referred to in my second post wasn’t set up for 5 hours so I did a WAG on that one also. They shouldnt make us struggle so much to analyze this stuff.

PDF does not appear

1 Like

It used to be in the paper that comes with the vial. But they have changed it.
It used to say that Humalog is used at 30% for the first 3 hours and 10% the last hour. I don’t know why they changed it. It still works for me.

It used to be in the paper that comes in the vial but they’ve changed it.
They said that Humalog is used like this:

1st hour 30% (of the total injection)
2nd hour 30% (of the total injection)
3rd hour 30% (of the total injection)
4th hour 10% (of the total injection)

So if you know how much you took
And you know how much 1 unit lowers you
Then you can predict where you will be.

For example: (Say I’m really high)
If I am at 325.
I know my target is 100
So I know I am 225 points too high.

I know my high blood glucose ratio is 1:50 (One unit lowers me 50 points)
So I know I need 4.5 units

If I take 4.5 units, I know that for the first 3 hours I will “burn” about 1.35 units each hour.
And the last hour I’ll burn about .45 units. (I know that 1.35 units will lower me 67.6 points because of my high blood glucose ratio.

So if I use 1.35 units for the first 3 hours and .45 the last hour. It shoudl look like this.

TIME GLUCOSE EXPLANATION
hour 0 – 325 Your starting glucose value
hour 1 – 257.5 325-67.5 = 257.5
hour 2 – 190 257.5-67.5= 190
hour 3 – 122.5 190-67.5 122.5
hour 4 – 100 122.5-22.5 = 100

To be absolutely technical about it, it’s not a factor of total injection, it’s burnt at a factor of a percentage of what’s left. So the numbers are not exact but it has always been so close it didn’t make a difference to me.

I wrote this fast so I hope it’s right. I should have used numbers that didn’t have decimals, just to make it easier to figure.

1 Like

Knowing this, I won’t be so impatient. Nothing much happens in the first hour so I tend to bolus more or exercise. Thanks!