What is the recommended blood sugar range for Type II diabetics?

My doctor didn’t say that I should stay within a certain range. I check my glucose in the mornings (fasting) and 2 hours after each meals, but just because I want to do it to see what foods are good and bad for me. My Dr. said that I could check it once a week. He is more interested on my A1c results and want to see me every three months to go over the results…I wonder what other doctors out there are recommending their patients with type II diabetes.

I am a type 2 diabetic and I average 8 to 10 times a day. I talked to my endo and told them that I needed them to give me more test strips because I like to check right before I eat to see what I can have for meals and snacks. My primary doctor would not increase my strip number so I decided to take my case to a different doctor. I used to be on insulin for a year so I think its a carry over from those days in my mind. I also started to go low during excercise so I test about 3 times during excercise. I test a the begining to know where I am starting at. If I need to eat more to make sure I have enough carbs I will do it. I test in the middle because that is when I was going low. The test will tell me what I need to eat since I tend to excercise for about 1 to 1.5 hours. I test at the end to see if I need any more carbs. I usually wind up at about 70 at the end of excercise. If I dont correct with 15 grams of carbs I’ll keep going down and wind up low.

My doc could not explain the ups and downs so testing is the only way that i manage to big swings in bgs. I am on metformin now only.

Also sometimes it seems primary care docs go by the book when it comes to testing so they dont realize that even in the type 2 world you have a lot of different variations.

decent article:
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html

I test 4-6 times a day - first when I wake up, 2 hrs after breakfast, before lunch, 2 hrs post lunch, pre dinner and bed time
the article above says >180 2hrs post meal but I was told by my doc and education class it was >140 (maybe they want tigher control I don’t know but that’s what i shoot for) I also test when I feel funny

I think you’re doing the right thing testing as you do so you can figure what works and what doesnt’ work. don’t know how testing once in seven days can be helpful at all - why even bother?

I test 4 times a day. Fasting, 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes i also test before I go to bed. My doctor also gave me a certain bg level guideline. However, it does not stop me from doing better. Meals bg is <180 mg/dl. FBS is 90 to 130 mg/dl. A1C of <7 mg/dl

hmmm… Sounds like Kaiser.

Anyways the booklet says nothing over 180 two hours after eating and 120 any other time.
BUT a lot of the people including me who take their D seriously try to get it as close as 130 anytime when eating and nothing over 100 when fasting.