What is the type 1.5?

Type 1.5 is what the endocrinologist said I have. Every time I tell the doctors in my area what I have they all smile like there is some inside joke. Do all doctors accept this diagnoses? I know I am still making insulin, but not enough. How is that different from type 2? Anyone have a clearer explanation? And has anyone else come across the same attitude with their doctor not acting like it is a proper diagnoses?

Hi Jen: Type 1.5 is not a medically recognized term–that may be why you are getting the reaction that you get. Basically, it’s a slang term. It’s supposed to mean that someone has Type 1 autoimmune diabetes AND has insulin resistance (so is somewhere between 1 and 2). In fact, all autoimmune diabetes (meaning the beta cells are destroyed by an autoimmune attack) is technically Type 1 diabetes. Type 2 is not autoimmune, again by definition (the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus). Lots of us who were diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as adults just say we have Type 1 diabetes, since 1.5 and LADA are not medically recognized terms. Check out my blog Bill of Rights for lots of information.