What to expect this summer

Tomorrow’s the last day of school., and the beginning of our first summer with D. What should I expect? More insulin use? Less? Do most of you anticipate adjusting your child’s basal? I know I’ll figure it out as I go, but I’d like a heads up as to what to expect. Thanks.

Can’t help much because this is our first summer with D. But…based on Becky’s recent activity level, I would say less insulin unless the ice cream truck comes by. LOL

I’m in the same position as you are so I’m very interested in this as well. In fact we just received his pump and will be starting it middle of July…YEAH!!! So it will be an interesting summer. Can’t wait to see what’s posted.

In the same boat here with Ellie who’s now 4 and has her saline/insulin starts for her pump in the next 2 weeks.
Maybe we should bribe the ice cream man to drive around the block a few times first so the kids can get a few laps in before indulging. Earplugs might be an option too!

In addition to the increased activity I expect we’ll be swimming more and that should require some additional checks.
Good luck:)

with summer comes more outside activities, more lows! Always remember fast acting carbs, your gluco. kit, carb free snacks and extra site changes or needles (with disposable sharps container) and of course your meeter. My son is on the pump so we use our temp basil settings a lot in the summer so we don’t have as many lows. We can pretty much expect to change his site everyother day, swimming, sweating ect the sites just don’t last as long. We pack a back pack full of D supplies so we can leave at a moments notice when something fun comes up (just remember to restock after every outing) hope that helps!!!

Hi, Carb101,
I would agree with what Annie wrote. I think less insulin is needed in the heat and also with more activity less insulin is needed. I also find the sites come off easier due to sweating or being in the pool, etc.
Hope you have a great safe summer!
Jessica

We already have adjusted her basals downward due to the weather. Warmer weather equals less insulin for her, even without any extra activity. Swimming drops her like a rock and we have to be very careful, making sure her blood sugars are higher before entering the pool, removing pump, and giving 60 percent of her regular bolus for all snacks or if she eats shortly before entering the pool. At the 1.5 hour mark, we replace half of one hour’s basal, along with a snack (60 percent bolus). Will also give her one hour’s bolus directly when she gets out of the pool to go home, along with a snack, full bolus. Starting last year, she would go high if disconnected for three hours. As a younger child, we did not have to replace the basal insulin. If she swims during the day, reduced basals overnight and very careful attention to blood sugar monitoring as there can be steep drops.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for this thread… there is a lot of helpful advice in here for me as well. My 4-year-old was just dx’d last April 2009 and we spent the summer roller-coasting on needles and the “honeymoon” phase… so last summer was anything but “normal” or stable… so this will be our first summer after 9-10 months of pumping and learning.

So - just so you know - your comments are helpful to lots of people. Thank you!

Alright, we just got back from 4 days at the river, swimming and playing almost nonstop, and stayed pretty stable after the first night of experimentation. I reduced her basal by 20%, and she spent A LOT of time unhooked. (I realize her pump is waterproof, but when it falls off in that dark river water, they’ll be no retreiving it.) We used the usual corrections at mealtimes. She probably ate a few more carbs per day than usual, but not many. The biggest thing that surprised me was that she went low the first night. Well duh! the books say that exercise late in the afternnon or evening can affect the BG up to six hours later, so I just kept the temp basal low after the first night, and I did check her every night at 2, which I don’t do at home.

It was in the 90s with plenty of time in cool water, and there didn’t seem to be any problems with insulin getting too hot and going bad.

For our at-home days so far this summer, we’ve kept all her settings as they were, and it’s been fine.

Have a great summer everyone!