What's the best pump?

I think that im going to get an insulin pump and I would like to here what anyone thinks is the best pump in their own opinion. I’m trying to decide what one is best for me. So if anyone has any suggestions or comments please help me out with them.

sorry dave lol but I WOULD recommend the Omnipod, Ive had it for 2 months, not one problem. Its VERY simple, and easy to put on, no painful insertions it does it all by its self. Its the only wireless one out. and They have ALOT of great changes comming out in 2009 so I would look into that.

I agree with you, Kenny!, i also would recommend the Omnipod. It is a great and easy system to learn. But some people have some issues with it, just like any pump. Just make sure you do what’s best for you =) Hope all goes well!
~Sugarrbabie~

yeah two months isnt along time But if you DO ever have issiues with the pod you can contact insulet and get a new pod in the mail in a couple days with no cost. Like I said Insulet(omnipod) is comming out with GREAT stuff in the near future. They are the latest pump to come out so of course you might run into a few problems here and there. But 2009 will be a huge year for them. Just watch =]

Honestly, I couldn’t tell you which is the “best” pump. I don’t know that there is one. I think you have to find the best one for you personally.

I’m on a miniMed paradigm and I love it. I was very interested in the omnipod when I found out about it earlier this yr. I sent for a demo and it’s pretty cool, however, I realized, it would not be the best pump for me due to the nature of my profession. As a dancer there are many times when it’s necessary for me to disconnect, when you’re wearing skin tight lycra there’s no where to hide a pump, so when I’m doing a photoshoot, or performing on stage, I have to take it off, also sometimes in rehearsal or class I disconnect briefly to protect my pump from getting damaged - if we’re doing a lift and my partner might rip it out, or if I’m doing floor work when I might smash my pump against the floor.

There’s no quick easy disconnect with the omnipod - it’s on or it’s off. That would get really expensive for me and would be really incontinent. So personally, I don’t think it’s the pump for me, however, I’ve heard a lot of people really like the tubeless feature…which I have to agree would be awesome.

I don’t know much about the Animas or Cozmo so I can’t give you an opinion. I love the bolus wizard feature on my MiniMed pump, I can also do 3 different types of boluses to match what I’m eating and I like that feature as well.

I’ve never had a problem with my minimed pump, the company has been awesome to deal with too. Also if you use the inserters by minimed, it’s relatively painless.

Hi Dooie
I would suggest going over to the Insulin Pumpers Forum and going through it. There are a LOT of ideas from a lot of people about all the different pumps on there And i would definitely take the time to get demos and hold them in your hand and try them on you to see how you like each one. It is how I made my decision about my pump. It will become a part of you, so you should find what pleases YOU most of all.

I have the Medtronic Minimed Paradigm 722. I suppose the Minimed pumps are the most widely used… they are sort of the Microsoft of the insulin pump market; But I’m extremely happy with mine.
Minimed, hands down, has absolutlely spectacular customer service. If you have a pump or supply emergency, the stuff you need will be there the next day. Whenever I have had any urgent need from minimed the supplies were at my door with in 24 hours.
The only other pump I considered was is the Animas OneTouch Ping. It is sleek with a lot of great features. The biggest reason I went with the MiniMed pump was for the CGMS (Continuous Glucose Monitoring System). I have to have it to drive.

I think it’s definitely a personal choice since everyone has different experiences with the pump models and the companies. This link has a side by side comparison of the pumps that might be helpful.

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php

Each pump at the moment offers something different. With Minimed there’s the option of continuous glucose monitoring, with the Animas Ping you can send boluses from the meter, with the Cozmo you have a built in meter in the pump, and with the OmniPod you have no tubing.

I have been a proud Accu-check (aka Disetronics) user for 17 years. I had no idea how dominant MM was until I joined TuDiabetes. I would never ever switch! Why? Because with Accu-check, you get TWO pumps. Read this discussion here on pump failures, and the need for a back-up plan. I have not had to take a shot in 17 years, and my backup plan is “switch to my second pump”.

The Accu-chek Spirit has all the bell and whistles, also comes with a Palm pilot and bolus calculator, and data can be transferred very easily.

he wasn’t saying they fail alot. he is saying that if it happens to fail, there is no hassle in getting a replacement for the one that did fail. alas, this is steering way away from the original subject. when will we learn, what is best for one…may not be the best for another?! that’s why we all make our OWN choices about pumps.

I just don’t understand people who believe their way is the only way. Why does it bother you so much that some people really like the OmniPod? I haven’t tried it yet, so I can’t say that it is good or bad. I don’t like my MM because unlike you, I have had lots of problems with it. Also with the customer service. Everyone is different and has different needs. Yours is not the only way.

It depends on what you want in a pump on what is the best pump. I personally went with MM because they are a leader in pumps, but check each one out and see what you want out of it for you. Then that is the best pump.

Dooie-

You have to find out what you are looking for in pump. I use the Omnipod because I like the wireless feature but just because it works for me it may not work for you. A pump is a huge investment so take your time, look around and go from there. If you have any questions about the pumps feel free to join a their groups. You’ll find a lot of information on each pump. take care and happy pump shopping.

Cherise

I thought I would chime in, too, since I use and love my Cozmo and used and loved several Minimeds.

What I generally tell new-pump-shoppers is that there is NOT a bad pump. I researched and vetted each of them thoroughly before making my choice this last year and found things to love about each brand.

I use a Cozmo. I like the method it uses to calculate insulin on board (linear as opposed to curvilinear), the attached meter, the customized screens, the hypo manager that tells you how much to eat for a low, and the disconnect feature that allows you to take missed basal up front. I like that it’s waterproof and has a food database on board. I like the customer support, the software, that it’s infrared, etc. I’m happy with my choice of pump this time around but want to stress that all are great pumps.

I loved my 3 Minimed Paradigms and my earlier Minimed before that. Medtronic is a reliable company and has great products and customer service, in general. They serve the majority of pump users and offer the first onboard CGMS device for interstitial monitoring all in one device. Most folks love their Minimeds and most endocrinologists are more comfortable with its features than any other pump.

The Animas Ping is wonderful. Animas makes arguably the sleekest, cutest pumps with their bright colors and soft rubber buttons. They are partnering with Dexcom for future CGMS integration. The Ping remote is a cool device with lots of potential. It, too, is waterproof and has a food database on board. Animas also makes (arguably) the most comfortable infusion sets (I use animas insets with my Cozmo pump). The only thing I didn’t like was the screen in the end, but they are a company I will be watching enthusiastically as they produce more pumps along the lines of the Ping.

The Omnipod, despite its detractors, is the best option for many pumpers - especially those new to pumping. It is tubeless, with no infusion sets to mess with. The PDM is easy-to-use has an integrated freestyle blood glucose meter (which I prefer over One Touch meters and strips). They, too, are partnering with Dexcom and Abbott for future CGMS integration. The pods are comfortable to wear, albeit a bit bulky for my taste (but they’ll get smaller over time). The start-up costs for the Omnipod are much smaller but the overall costs over 4 years are comparable to other pumps because of the price of the pod shipments. I think Insulet is a smart company and I really really considered them. They have a great business model and seem to support their customers, who by and large are happy with podding. In the end, it just wasn’t the right fit for me because I’ve pumped for a long time and knew exactly what I wanted to fiddle with on a new pump.

I have virtually no experience with the Accu-check, but know people who have sworn by their Accu-check dysetronics.

But everyone here is right. Talk to the reps and arrange a meeting to play with each pump - the buttons and the screens and the infusion sets. Let the salespeople try their hardline pitch to you and see what you feel after you’ve seen each one. I think most people know after they meet “their” pump. Good luck!

With all due respect, Dave: In 3.5 years, my Minimed has failed twice. I don’t think this discards it as a good pump, but I wouldn’t say that qualifies as rarely failing either.

With the “no sets to mess with” means you dont do anything but place the pod on your body…it does the rest. As for the PDM. I know I have had to deal with a meter 24/7 for the past 11 years, so not losing the PDM is pretty easy. I always have it with me, just as I would a meter. I am glad you like you’re pump. And please, let me enjoy mine without so much negativity…thanks =)

Having been an Animas wearer, I should be inclined to rave about my personal selection, but realize that the “best” pump is the one which meets your individual needs, and that should be evaluated with a number of important factors considered beyond the various features highlighted in the sales literature provided by the manufacturer. For example, the Medtronic sales representative was slow to get back to me and treated me as if they were the biggest and therefore didn’t need to earn my business. I thought “screw you”, and happily went to their rival. But beyond those issues, consider the elements which are important to YOU. For example, bolus wizards are very helpful for some people, while others find the size of the pump itself more important (for example, some type 2 pump users don’t care for the small reservoir capacity in some of the newer pump models because it necessitates more frequent refills on their part). Similarly, the choice of infusion sets may also be worthy of consideration. Medtronic Minimed pumps (except for the now discontinued 507/508 series) use proprietary infusion sets rather than industry-standard luer lock connections. That means that innovative new infusion sets from third-party manufacturers may not be available right away on Minimed pumps, while Animas and Deltec pump wearers will be able to use those as well as those from their rivals (including Medtronic Minimed). Similarly, service may also be an issue to consider. While Minimed has a long history of service, since being acquired by Metronic, the number of complaints relative to service have increased steadily. Animas, which is today part of Johnson & Johnson, has actually been beneficial to that company’s customer service scores. Multinational pharmaceutical company Roche, which acquired Swiss pump manufacturer Disetronic a few years ago, has also reported improved levels of increased customer satisfaction. Startup companies like Insulet (which makes the Omnipod) have a shorter history to consider though they claim to have a cost advantage which may help, and the innovative design is worthy of consideration by itself. Foreign-owned pump companies including Japan’s Nipro and South Korea’s Sooil have less-established servuce organizations but in the case of Sooil, they can offer a pump which is considerably less costly and therefore less likely to have insurance coverage issues. As Dave notes, any pump you use is the best pump, but you should definitely consider a number of different factors beyond what appears in the sales literature.

One simple question:

Have you ever tried the OmniPod?

Thank you all for your input. Please keep giving me your experiences with these pumps. I think that it will be between the Animas or Medtronic. So anyone who has these pumps please tell me what you think because as someone just getting ready to start on the pump it will be hard to actually say which is going to be better. I just got info on the Animas and Im waiting on my info from Medtronic. Im trying to find a Diabetes Expo where I can see these products and see how they all work. All this is new to me and Im a little nervous about using the pump but Im so tired of taking shots(for 18 yrs).

You can request Reps to come out to your place and show you the different pumps and infusion sets. I think that would be your best bet to go with on actually comparing the pumps. When I was deciding mine was between Animas and Medtronic as well. I went with the MM722 because they were the most helpful in helping me fight my insurance company, they had a larger reservoir than Animas, and I liked the fact the CGMS was integrated so that if I did decide to get the CGMS it would only be a sensor and not a whole new contraption to carry around and I did end up purchasing the CGMS out of pocket and it has helped me tremendously.