What's the longest a single sensor has been used?

When you say “over everything” are you saying you cover the transmitter as well? I thought that was not advised.

I assume the manufacturer says this. However, I have done it and the transmitter does not seem compromised. I am not an expert on the device...only a user. So, I tried something that seems to work. That's all I know.

The tape quality I use is very good...cloth-like, not plasticy or thin.

I do not notice a error increase. The final week seemed more accurate than the early days of the sensor. There was on one occasion that that the sensor seemed to become more error prone as the days went on, but in my mind I am attributing it to a faulty sensor or attachment method error. I think of the extended us just as accurate, and find the readings fairly close to my monitor reading. The only problem I have is viewing the multiple week download on my computer.

Yes, Linny, over everything, the sensor and transmitter and the tape. It works like a charm. Elsa is right, the manufacturer says not too, but I was getting too many ??? and was looking for a solution. This one works perfectly, at least for me. Tegaderm® is on the pricy side, but it is so worth it in my opinion.

Anthony, once I begin to see the sensor is off-mark, I watch it closely; usually that is my clue it's time for a change. I never treat a high or a low or eat for that matter, without doing a finger stick, testing on average 10 times a day. When I test, even if I'm not calibrating my Dexcom, I check it for any variance. It's typically right on or within a few points of my glucometer. If it's not, and especially if the sensor is a few weeks old, I know it's time to change it.

That’s great! I’m trying different adhesives. Tagaderm gave me a rash, not trying the flexifix but I’m itching like crazy! Any hints?

I tried to prolong my sensor, because Thursday was very inconvenient to change it, so I prolonged my latest sensor to Saturday. it was extremely inaccurate, and constantly didn't have an arrow and often not even a number! (???) I don't think i'll be doing that again. :(

Linny, have you tried using Bard® Protective Barrier? When it is time for me to change, I shower and dry; use an alcohol wipe on the entire area (beyond the Tegaderm® area); use the Bard® Protective Barrier, again beyond on the entire area; then, I apply/insert the sensor and transmitter, following up with placing the Tegaderm® over everything. I have very sensitive skin and found the Bard® (I use the wipes) to be quite helpful. I've applied the Dexcom (with Tegaderm®) to my abdomen and upper thigh. I much prefer the abdomen.

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

You guys are all champs. I went 14 days once and it got far too itchy. I usually make it 10 days before changing it. Interestingly, having done nothing different, the past 4 sensors (same box) started peeling in less than 2 days. I know a few years ago people complained they changed the "adhesion" even though Dexcom denied it. I wonder if it's happening again. Anyone else experience this?

i normally go between 2 and 3 weeks, when the tape gets too loose and the sensor stops being reliable. However with my current sensor i used a skin tac wipe before insertion and i'm currently on day 32! The accuracy seems to actually improve with age, but now the tape seems to be reaching its limit and i may not go much longer. I don't know if it was just luck or the skin tac adhesive helped, but i'm soon going to give it another try. BTW i swim every day for 30 min, so the sensor gets plenty of wetness and stress.

I don’t remember ever getting 2 weeks out of a sensor before 3+ hours of ??? start occurring. This is my longest at 13.4 days and the ??? will probably mean a change soon.
Where do people wear their sensors to get long use out of them, or does it matter? My BMI is 20.8 and only places I feel comfortable with the sensor is within 4 inches of navel.
BTW - I prep the site with AllKare wipes from ConvaTec, which are basically same as SkinTac.

I put mine on my thighs. If I get a couple of hours with the question marks, I just let it ride out. Usually after that it’s fine. Sometimes I start a new session. Detach the transmitter and clean it, and then the sensor will be back up and running.

The limit I keep running up against isn’t accuracy but adhesion. Yesterday was day 19, but finally got to where so much of the various bits of tape, velcro, chewing gum and baling wire had come unstuck that I just had no where to put any more and I had to decide to yank it while I still had two hours before bedtime for a new one to warm-up. Frustrating because it seems like it tracks even better–it was spot on for my last few days of finger-stick checks. I have NEVER been able to keep one on long enough for it to get erratic, but I have a new sticky-strategy to try for the current one, so we’ll see…

The longest a sensor has lasted me is 26 days, but typtically I get about 18-22 days. My current sensor is on day 25, so here’s hoping this doesn’t jinx it! I just use plain alcohol on my site, and then as the adhesive starts unsticking I leave it as long as possible, but then eventually cut off the unstuck bits and put Hypafix tape over top, repeating as necessary. I change my sensors when I have three failed restarts (if a first restart fails I’ll try again, if the second fails I’ll try again, if the third fails I give up).

I’ve been getting more days from my sensor using a couple of techniques:
-I am very careful about when I calibrate and will not calibrate if the numbers are way off unless that persists for some time. I tend to calibrate once a day and wait for a steady line and for the meter and cgm to line up.
-I have an old receiver that I use when I get ???. That gives me readings while my current one is working out the bugs. If both of the receivers give me ??? for a long period of time or over and over in a day, it’s usually time to put in a new sensor. I also will switch sensors if my cgm starts to give me roller coaster readings even though I’m not eating.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Finally got past day 15 but the ??? are getting more often. Generally I change after getting several 2 hour ??? and then the 3 hour ???
Summertime with sweating is the main reason for using AllKare or SkinTac.
Will try the upper thigh as a sensor site. I sleep on my side - does anyone consistently put sensor on side where they will sleep on it? With or without problems?

I switch from one thigh to the other, closer to the top of my leg than the side. I am able to sleep on it with no problem, a lot of nights I end up on my stomach.

I typically get at least 21 days and set my new record a week ago getting 41 days out of my sensor before wonkiness ensued.