What's the longest a single sensor has been used?

It gave out after 15.5 days. Thanks for the reply. I’ll forget the thigh - the pinchable portion while sitting or standing becomes non pinchable while walking. I might try further to the side on abdomen though suspect sleeping on it may become a problem.

I use Tegaderm, you can find rolls of it on Amazon. Replace strips of it every week to help keep the sensor attached. I can get normally 4 weeks out of a sensor doing this. Have got longer, but too risky on problems. I did run into a bad problem with doing this though, with the G5 sensors Dexcom keeps a very close eye on you and your sensors, and they have key methods for figuring out that you are re-using sensors. Yes, this data uploads to Dexcom if you use the smartphone app or the Dexcom software for the receiver on a computer. Here’s how to keep that problem from happening. When you reuse a sensor, leave at least 5 mins between the “stop” of the transmitter and the “Start”. Don’t stop/start right away. That’s clues them into the possible re-use of the sensors. And they will deny any warranty of your Dexcom devices for doing this. Not very nice of them. I have a transmitter that’s very flaky, and they won’t replace it due to this. I’m not happy with them right now, and would love to go back to the G4 but they probably don’t make them any more.

I also have heard that the next Blu Tooth Dexcom transmitters will only be good for 90 days and this will be programmed into the software to expire at that time (even if it continues to work). This is very disheartening as the transmitters used to be warranted for a year’s use not too long ago before it got reduced to half a year. And now it’s going to be only 3 months? Geeze!

Um, that’s already how the G5 works? I really don’t get how people can be so incredibly shocked/upset to learn this, it’s not like they try to hide the information.

Until today, I didn’t even know it was possible…you better believe, though, I’ll be testing this in the coming months and years. :slight_smile:

I’m just posting my feelings about the transmitters, not saying Dexcom is trying to hide things. Since I don’t use a smart-phone or the cloud, I was very happy with the 1-year warranted transmitters which I typically got 18-20 month’s use out of. Then they made the transmitter bigger to extend its range out to 20 feet from the receiver, which, for me, I didn’t need or use. When this change was made, the warranty dropped down to 6 months. With this version, I got 12-14 months use out of each before I had to replace it. So, at that point, I had a larger transmitter than previously and now had more frequent purchases. Now with the G5 version, the period of use is down to 3 months maximum meaning that it needs to be replaced 4 times a year. For those of us without 100% insurance coverage for these devices, this can be expensive paying for the new features which I don’t use.

1 Like

Oh you didn’t know you could use sensor longer than 7 days? It’s a glorious thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, my 2 year old was just diagnosed on March 27th so there’s still much we don’t know. Loving this community because I’ve already learned so much JUST IN THE PAST TWO DAYS SINCE I JOINED!!!

2 Likes

Oh my…this is truly a wonderful and caring community. You’ve come to the right place. Good luck to you!!!

1 Like

I wear mine 14 days. After I restart it (before the adhesive begins go peel off) I reinforce it with IV 3000, Tagaderm or whatever at hand.

Today I read this study regarding accuracy up to 14 days AS LONG as you can keep the sensor in place:
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/39/8/e112

It should be noted that it was an adult study. So its results can’t be extrapolated to pediatric patients. But there may be a signal there.

Most of my sensors last at least 14 days and often about 21 days. My longest was 46 days (on my arm). I replace tape as needed by cutting edges off that have peeled up and taping everything down with Hypafix.

1 Like

I recently switched from medtron’s enlite sensor to dexcom. The sensor I am wearing right now was inserted October 24th and still going strong. I like fooling the technology.

1 Like