Whats wrong w/ this picture: dual bolusing for carbs

i have had little to no success for eating carbs.NO white carbs ever but things like oatmeal, wheatina, rye bread, etc. and forget pasta or rice. if i have an english muffin w/ a regular bolus, my BGs seem to stay stable for a period of time, but then at about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, my BGs spike. every time. so my cde suggested i use a dual bolus to prevent the later spike. sounds reasonable to me. so i pre-bolused a 70/30 % over 1 1/2 hours. seemed safe with not too much over-kill. but right after eating, i started trending down. i went from about 150 to 80, despite my cgm showing a straight direction arrow, w/in about 15 minutes. and all afternoon i bounced around in the lows before coming up in the later afternoon. but i never spiked and my BGs never went over 200. i don’t know whether to call this a “success” story or to try and fine-tune it.

and my biggest question is this: if i am only giving myself 70% up front, why am i trending low in the beginning of my meal?

do any of you out there have to dual bolus for carbs? i am very insulin quirky. everything i do is based solely on experimentation. any suggestions very much appreciated.

How high is it spiking? What is your “spike goal”? My endo wants me no higher than 180 2 hr post meal, I want to be no higher than 145. What is the peak time of your insulin?

The only time I do an extended bolus for carbs is on the rare occasion that I eat more than 70 in one meal. This is because the digestion is slower, they sit like a brick in my tummy and take longer to absorb.

I find that English muffins are slower to get started than other bread-like things, and don’t spike for me. Possibly to do with the amount of butter i put on them, but there may be something in the way that the muffins themselves are made - i have heard some folk say that they can handle sour dough bread better.
Just talking off the top of my head here, but maybe has to do with the way that yeast uses the sugars in the proofing process?

Call it a successful start and fine tune it.

I just thought of another point, too. You’ve said before, in other posts, that you are on medications that affect your blood sugars. Do you take them at the same times every day as well as eat a the same times every day? In what ways do they effect your diabetes? Do any of them effect insulin sensitivity or the digestion process? Just something to consider.

I do funky fluctuations. But I have gastroparesis. Yes it is normal dependent on your metabolism. It fluctuates differently with everyone. You need to look at the speed it goes down when it starts. Which mean instead of 70/30 go to 60/40, or change the length of time.

you make an excellent point. i do take meds that effect my BGs but now that i am on lower dosages they don’t seem to have the same elevating effect. and yes, i do eat basically the same foods for my meals each day at the same time. (7:30 am ; 12pm : 6pm)

i will try this next time (which might mean this afternoon) thanks. :sunny: