When I'm 64!

If you're old enough to remember the Beatles, you'll remember this song. One line went "Will ya still need me, will ya still feed me, when I'm 64?" So today being my 64th birthday, yesterday night, some friends took me out to dinner. Well, it was my birthday, right? So I had some Italian tomato cheese soup, a lovely filet mignon, a whole, big, baked potato, and some chocolate cake with ice cream for dessert. And enjoyed every bite of it. And paid the price, too!

First off, I do have problems with delayed stomach emptying, not from gastroparesis, but for other reasons. So it took me a good 12 hours to empty my stomach, and I basically had to sit up all night, and didn't do more than doze all night long. But the good part is that I kept my BG under 200 for the most part by frequent monitoring and frequent correcting.

The first part went really well, because I had put on a square wave for 4 hours, but then when it wore off, I didn't know if I could predict what would come next, so I just decided to just test and correct. And then after thinking about it for a while, I started wondering why the maximum square wave is 8 hours, when it CAN take people longer, and sometimes a LOT longer to completely empty their stomachs. Apparently, totally normal people can empty their stomachs in 3-4 hours, but I surely can't be the only one who, without having gastroparesis, still has problems, especially among older people.

But anyway, the truth of the story is that I had a great time, enjoyed my friends, and was willing to pay the price which I knew ahead of time was coming. But I DON'T do this very often! :-)

Happy happy birthday Natalie! I wish you all the best on your special day and everyday :) Love the Beatles, avid memorabilia collector and love their music. Glad your enjoyed your birthday...your dinner indeed sounds yummy!(drooling here...)

Happy birthday Natalie! I remember that Beatles song, guess I am getting old! Dinner sounded great and you deserve a treat once in awhile. Slow stomach emptying is a PIA when you want to have dinner out and have to babysit all night.

Hi Natalie. Now that was some birthday dinner. So here's a suggestion: for your 65th, have a wonderful meal at lunchtime with your friends so that you have all day to (as Kelly said) babysit it. Happy Birthday and many, many happy returns!

Happy Birthday, Natalie! It sounds like you had a great time. I second the Birthday Lunch idea for 65 and beyond. That way you can even go for a walk afterwards to burn up some of that cake.

Happy birthday Natalie! It sounds like a great party. I'm glad you indulged and enjoyed the celebration!

Happy Birthday Natalie!! Glad you had a great time... and great job on staying under 200 the whole time!

You know, I had that song going through my head all day yesterday, but in my mind "Will you still feed me when I'm 64" was referring to having a BG of 64 mg/dl and having someone help me treat it!

(By the way, that was played at my wedding when my wife and I fed each other the cake)

Happy BD you young chick you :) ...I hope you allow me to say that, from one who is almost 8 years your senior .
Yes to the Beatles !! ...we had the opportunity at Waikiki last week to listen to the Society of Seven ( 2 of the originals are performing in Las Vegas !! ) ...a great rendition of the Beatles tunes

Scott, I didn't yet have diabetes when that tune came out, so of course I thought of it as age. But now that you mention it, I can clearly see why you would have thought of it as a BG! Too funny! :-)

Happy happy birthday chickadee! Sounds like a fantabulous meal, great to share occasions with friends ;)

Happy birthday , ms. Natalie.. Of course I remember "When I am 64"...And I love Scott's take on the number. The question does double duty for those of us who are diabetic.... Happy belated B'day again to you.!!!

God bless,
Brunetta

Glad you had such a lovely birthday, Natalie.

OOoooooo. You been a berry, berry bad girl. But I guess that is the point on your birthday.

Congrats.

Happy Birthday Natalie! So glad to hear you celebrated and enjoyed it!

I wished you a Happy Birthday on your birthday. Glad you had a great time. I am 84 and I remember that song. You see you can live a good and wonderful life with the big D. Reed

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! Yup a day late and a dollar short but what's new for me??? LOL!

UI have gasteroparasis so I kinda know what ur talking about there.

Happy Birthday Natalie!!!! So sorry I'm late to the party! :) I'm so happy for you that you got to have your cake and eat it too! YAY! mmmm Sounds like a delicious birthday feast!

Happy Birthday Natalie!

Happy Birthday Natalie!!!! Everyone deserves to be spoiled once in a while! <3

Happy Belated Birthday !! Glad you enjoyed your celebration, after all you are only 64 once. Cat =^..^=