When you were diagnosed

I have to be honest, where you are at now, I would focus on a diet that supports your thyroid goals. So things like avoiding too much soy might be more important than low carb.

yes, and whats funny is I started to consume a whole bunch of soy around Feb. I’m sure that contributed and I’m also sure my cortisol is a mess too. In the end, everything goes hand in hand

I do hope that your endocrinoloigst is able to help you get your thyroid treated in a manner which works better for you so that you feel better. From what you have said, that seems to be your main problem, and solving that may also solve the blood sugar levels that your’e concerned about.

No, I refused to take Metformin as I wanted to try diet and exercise first. I have lost 45 lbs, and eat when I am hungry, generally 2 meals a day, and one snack. I don’t eat breakfast, I do intermittent fasting, from about 7:00 pm until about 10:30 am the next day.

No “pre diabetes”. Routine blood work from my family doctor was run. I got the lab results from the doctor in the mail with a yellow post it note on top saying “Patient is diabetic. Schedule follow up”. No phone call, no contact. I changed doctors!

@Shadow2 I see it on this forum constantly in different conversations
FROM A NEW LINK FROM THIS SITE FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED PEOPLE

1. Get tested for Hashimoto’s Disease and celiac disease, two autoimmune diseases that are commonly seen in people with Type 1 autoimmune diabetes.

Pushing you is not the correct terms used but screwing up your glucose and going hand in hand seems obvious

Yes, autoimmune diseases go hand in hand, which is why people suggest testing for hypothyroid when one has T1 or vice versa. I was simply wondering whether you had seen research that said a thyroid condition would cause T1.

Many people on this site had diabetes before they had thyroid disease, though. (It would be interesting to do a survey.) Also, thyroid disease is extremely common in the general population, so there are many people with thyroid disease who never develop diabetes. Just because two diseases are correlated and often occur together doesn’t mean that one causes the other. Type 1, celiac, and Hashimoto’s are associated because they all share certain genes and thus someone at risk for one is at risk for another. But whether they will go on to develop the other is completely unknown, since no one yet knows what the environmental triggers for autoimmune diseases are.

I agree with Jen. Thyroid conditions do not cause or lead to diabetes (either Type 1 or 2). momof21, if this is your understanding, you are mistaken. You can read up on the difference between correlation and causation (two very different things) via a simple internet search. I maintain that it’s important to keep the science straight, as a lot of people come to this Forum for correct information.

I was diagnosed this past September (2015). In April (2015) I had blood work done and blood sugar was A-ok. Looking back, I began having symptoms in late July. I was extremely thirsty, peeing a lot and sweating SO MUCH, lost 20 pounds, couldn’t catch my breath. I worked very hard during July and August building my gardens in the hot direct sun and just passed the symptoms off to that. Labor Day morning I was in the garden (still - ugh, those darn gardens…) and really thought I was having a heart attack. I trekked off the ER. Heart was fine, blood sugar was 320 and I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet! They sent me home dazed and confused and told me to follow up with my Doc as soon as I could. Dr office couldn’t get me in for 3 weeks. I went to a walk in clinic. They prescribed me 500mg Metformin to get started and gave me a meter and showed me how to use it and gave me some literature. Finally saw my regular PCP and she upped the Metformin. 3 months later, referred me to Endo because “something didn’t seem right”. Endo did more blood work and, wallah!, I’m Type 1. GAD antibody level at 500.

1997… twenty years ago. I was driving in South Memphis, no where near home. I needed to pee all the time, so I ducked behind a blue dumpster to relieve myself. This us crazy, I said to myself.

Doctor did a test and I was about 365. Turns out the massive dosage of the steroid Prednisone destroyed my pancreas’ ability to control my sugar.

My wife is a nurse administratir (retired) so she could splain things pretty well. She is not aware of the self-discipline required and, with all my medical problems, she hardly notices much anymore.

A post was split to a new topic: Diagnosed in June

My glucose was 800. It took about a month that I remember to see the doctor. I was immediately taken to the hospital, I was a kid. My mother thought I was just going through growing pains. But I lost 35 lbs. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital before I started insulin. They gave me 1 unit to see how I and it would react. I don’t remember eating much in the hospital. I just layed in bed all day with a bunch of IV’s in me nonstop. People were worried I was going to die. I begged a nurse in the hospital for a half eaten banana she had that I was staring at from my bed. I was so hungry. She gave it to me even though she was not supposed to. God bless her, an angel. I don’t know what 800 is in A1c, and have no idea what my c-peptide level was, but it’s like 0.2% now at best.

There’s also something called monogenic diabetes. In these cases it’s often misdiagnosed. Your body is still making insulin but not at the right time. Any serious doctor would be willing to consider it. But hormones and genetic testing would need to be done to make sure. Some manage with pills and insulin, but they take a lot less insulin, and others manage it with diet and exercise.

I had routine blood glucose testing every year at annual exam. Did not find out until several years later that my levels were not normal for years but doc never said a word. Finally said something when they were REALLY out of whack.

Good for you. That was NOT the way to deliver that news.

I started throwing up every morning. My mother kept sending me to school because she thought I was faking. A week of going into school and being sent home for vomiting, followed by another week of throwing up at home before she decided to take me to the er. My blood sugar was in the 1000s, no idea what the hba1c was, but a doctor smelled my breath, and immediately sent me to the ICU. 24 hours of them asking me my name every hour because they were convinced I would have defecits. They told me I was lucky to not have gone into a coma. About 3 months before this happened, I had peed myself at school, and I was 11 years old, but nobody questioned it.

That’s how I was diagnosed, by pediatrician, 50+ years ago. Sent straight to hospital, stayed for 10 days. No home BG or urine testing back then, so often kids ended up in comas with DKA.

I think I only stayed in the hospital for 4 or 5 days, but it was Kaiser, so the pediatric endocrinologist worked in the next building, and had already visited me about a half dozen times before we were discharged. This was in early may, so I signed up for diabetes camp immediately and I honestly learned most about the treatment there. I was lucky that I could have such an intensive introduction that quickly. I have no memories of going to the hospital, but my mom says the er doctor who smelled my breath probably saved my life because everything happened so quickly.