Where is the best area to insert my sensor?

@macrobert

Do you calibrate it? Brand new sensors I have to calibrate the first couple of days. But the restarted ones still need one or two calibrations too. Usually I calibrate it immediately because it will read really high and I can’t stand it and lately I have to calibrate it about 4-8 hours later and maybe again once the next day and then they’re fine. That can vary a little per sensor as sometimes it’s one calibration on a restart sometimes 3.

But doing that they usually stay within 5 points of accuracy for me. But it does seem to vary person to person how long they can wear a sensor. On some people they don’t even last the original full 10 days well. Mine usually average about 25 days. My longest was 40 something days. But I literally went from one lasting 40 days to the next one only lasting 14 days. So who knows why?

I think I stated above that I did insert my sensor on the back of my upper arm. I phoned Dexcom back on Monday to talk to customer service. To make a long story short, I signed up for the subscription. They send me 90 days of sensors at a time, and bill me monthly on my credit card. Being on the subscription, I get transmitters for free. So, then it was just the wait til my new sensors and transmitter comes. However, I began have severe pain in my arm where I had put the sensor, so decided it was coming out. I tried to take it off and my skin ripped, more pain and now blood. My wife worked carefully to get the rest of it off, but my arm is all bruised with missing skin. This is why I can’t relate to other people’s situations about it coming off on its own before the 10 days is up. I can barely get them off. Being on the subscription now, there is no incentive to reuse transmitters, etc. Everything gets sent to me whether I use them or not, but I will now be two sensors ahead, just in case I need an extra one. Anyone else on the subscription plan?
I have my ultrasound on Thursday morning, and then after that I will put my new sensor on, probably my abdominal area, and my new transmitter and will be off to the races again. However, I must say, I am unhappy that the sensors only last 10 days, I just hate going through the whole procedure every 10 days (my G4 was on for a month or more), and I hate all the plastic that we throw away. What a waste.

Yes I calibrate it.

I’ve not heard of “compression low readings”. What are those?

1 Like

You can go to and learn all about compression lows:

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/search?q=Compression%20low

Or you can go to search bar above and just type in compression low

1 Like

Many thanks. I didn’t know that.

2 Likes

Mostly use back of my upper arms, however top of you butt works too. Just stay away from your waist band and not in a place that has pressure when you sit. There is a band of skin that is perfect. I put my pump sets there now and put my sensors in my arms. I was very thin when I was younger.
165 at 6’3. So I had a real hard time with the first cgm. I would put them in on a angle. Something you can’t do now because the inserter is so automated. You still can with guardian though.
When that sensor touches muscle, it hurts. I think that’s your issue.

I stopped wearing a sensor. Kept having similar issues and bleeding too. Maybe not enough fat? Idk but I’m taking a break. Finger sticks are not fun though!