Where is the best area to insert my sensor?

I’ve used G4 sensors for years and recently switched to G6. I always inserted my sensors on bottom rt of my abdomen area. This worked well for a long time, but now I frequently feel pain that runs up my side, but doesn’t feel like nerve pain, more like muscle pain. I now have to go for an ultrasound due to a possible weakening of my abdominal wall in that vicinity. Not sure if the two are connected.
Anyway, I tried putting my sensor near the back of my upper arm and got pain in my arm muscle from that. So, where does everyone put their sensors? I’m a skinny guy and have very little flab anywhere so it makes it difficult. Any help would be appreciated.

Most of the time I use back of arm or inner thigh.

Have used stomach, but lately using that for pump only.

I have heard (seen pics) of some that use back of leg calf, but have not tried it.

I sleep on my sides so in order to avoid compression low readings, I insert sensor inline between my belly button and xiphoid process. I am 5 ft 9", 125 lbs so also really skinny and this is one of the few areas with enough fat real estate to do the insertion and never have a problem with communication between sensor and receiver. One week it gets inserted low near the belly button and the next week high, just below xiphoid process. If those 2 areas in a direct line need a rest 1/2 inch up or down or to the left or right of center-line does the trick.

I saw many months ago, if a DexCom wire breaks under the skin, DexCom will treat it as an ‘off label’ use and offer no support. In post I saw, the author went on to share their insurance did not cover any the expense to remove the wire from under the skin because the sensor was not placed correctly.

Go figure. My recommendation, & practice, has been since the days of DexCom 7, 7+, to present day G6, is the abdomen, as stated in FDA approved literature.

Just my two cents.

Arm, I think the arm is the best by far.

As long as you be careful going through doorways !!

I like my arms the best. Lately I have been using the front of the arm a little towards the inside so it’s not right on top of my muscle. Great for restart access and when I need to apply more Skin Tac! I try to save my abdomen for my pump pods.

1 Like

I used to use my abdomen, too, for g4 and g5, but I couldn’t get more than a couple of days with g6 on a sensor there. Now I use the back of my upper arms, too, and they reliably last 9-10 days.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. I appreciate it. As I am having an ultrasound of my abdominal area, where I usually place my sensor, I am going to try using the back of my arm this time. Thanks again.

1 Like

Well, here I am with another issue. I put my new sensor on my arm, and because its been a while since I used the system, I had to have a CT scan and can’t have anything on my body, the battery was dead in the receiver. I plug it in to charge and start it up. It asks for date, etc, then wants to pair with the transmitter and wants the serial number from the box. Well, I don’t keep boxes, so I phoned tech support and was told that my transmitter is finished and I need a new one. So, I just wasted a $100 sensor and now have to get a new transmitter for who knows how much. I am so angry. I asked the person, why doesn’t it give a warning to let me know when the transmitter is going? I sure miss the G4 where I used one sensor for at least a month and the transmitter lasted for years and so did the receiver. Can I just leave this sensor on until my new transmitter comes? Will it still work? Sorry, just ranting! Not even sure I want to continue with dexcom, easier (and cheaper) to just prick my finger whenever I want.

Do you remember when you started transmitter ? I don’t know how support would know if it was dead battery.

Have you restarted sensors before? If so, just remove transmitter, leaving sensor on body.
The transmitter id is on backside. Enter on receiver, and check days on the receiver after it pairs. If won’t pair, then likely battery is dead.

MM1, knock it off and get the rush of the oh shoot !! :slight_smile: Maybe not shoot exactly.

1 Like

Thank you, I will try that. I did take the transmitter out once before and found it quite difficult. Now this one is on the back of my arm, I can’t even see it. Sigh.

@Les4 A lot of us restart the sensors on the G6 all the time. It isn’t always easy to get the transmitter out the first few times until you get used to it. But when I have one on the back of my arm I use the contour test strip and hold my arm up so I can see it in the mirror and pop it out. Of course it’s usually easier if someone can do it for you.

Use your belly. There are posts on this forum and others were DexCom and some major insurance companies have failed to help users who do not follow directions. This is a real problem if a wire breaks and must be extracted surgically. The person posting said they were stuck with a bill over $10,000 because a sensor wire broke in their arm.

Be careful if you do not use the abdomen. Just repeating so all can read.

1 Like

I’m a pretty slender female. Anywhere on my upper arm works best for me. Tried my upper skinny thigh but readings were off. My sensor doesn’t cause me any pain. My daughter would put on back of my arm but this time I inserted myself towards the front. Not used to seeing the sensor out of the corner of my eye but is a very convenient spot. Will be better able to pop out transmitter if I extend the sensor. Not sure why you are having pain. Hope you find a good site.

Thanks for your comments. Part of the issue here, is that I was worried about the sensor wire actually weakening my abdominal wall and I was having pain from it being there. That was why I was looking for a new spot for my sensor. I am going for an ultrasound on Friday to see what is going on. I am not worried about the cost of any medical problems, I live in Canada.

@Les4,

Thoughts:

1. Does the Canadian health care system subrogate costs? For example, if the health care system pays out because of a defective product, does the gov’t system look to be reimbursed or does it eat the cost incurred by the injured person because of the defective product? The point I am sharing is there is a monetary risk depending on the cost recovery environment of the health care system players.
  2. the sensor wire is the size of two human hairs laid side by side. If you are concerned, the best idea is ask DexCom for exact sensor wire size. My best estimate is the sensor’s diameter is less than the thickness of a sheet of 16 pound copy machine paper and about 1 cm in length inserted at about a 45 degree angle. I have never seen any discussions to a sensor inducing weakness to the abdominal wall. If you have access to a professional librarian connected to Medline, WorldCat, and similar online databases, ask for a detailed full text, juried journal articles discussing the pros and cons of abdominal wall weakening related to insulin injections, CGM sensors, and similar incursions.

My apologies for a long and detailed reply. My brainstorming was for illumination only.

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong! I can extract and then reinsert the sensor no prob - wait for the warm up and then it’ll work fine for about 1 day before giving up. I have had this same experience 3 or 4 times now so I have no idea how some of you guys are managing to re-use them consistantly!

In reply to your first question, I have no idea what they would do or if they have ever encountered something like that in the past. I just know, it wouldn’t cost me anything, so I leave the rest up to them. I would think it would just get eaten by the system.
As to the second question/comment, I also have no answers or comments but my thought is, if someone had no fat in that area, what would stop the sensor from puncturing the abdominal wall? Or in the case of my arm, the muscle, which is why I was getting so much pain from it. Going to make a separate post about that.