While everyone else was raiding Costco shelves we went to nearly empty Monterey, CA

What a beautiful day to visit Monterey CA! The ever-present crowds have diminished since the middle of last week. Got to walk by the beach, despite the forecast of rain which waited until we were driving home. The fantastic Monterey Aquarium is closed as are some other facilities. The stores and restaurants on Cannery Row were all open. Got my Rocky Mountain Factory fix and Johnny Rockets (which is funny because we live within 5 blocks of one but it so noisy). Went by Costco only for gas (no lines!) around 4PM. There was still parking to be had by the store but it looked fairly busy. Not tempted to walk inside to see how bare the shelves are.

That shows the area in front of the Monterey Bay aquarium which hosts and delights visitors from around the world. That is normally a very bustling corner

4 Likes

Beautiful picture!!!

I had a great aunt that used to live in Carmel Valley. Right on the river, they had horses too. Gorgeous area. We used to go and visit them all the time.

1 Like

We love going to Carmel as well. We’ve been there many times

1 Like

@Dave44 et al:

While I live in the Bay Area, I was lucky enough to make a day trip to Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Monterey on Thursday to pick up some meds for my pooch. Yes, it was as nice a day as you will ever see there. We “self isolated” on the nice walking paths along the coastline in Pacific Grove … nobody’s personal space was invaded, aside from my dog who DID get within 6 feet of a couple of ground squirrels at Lover’s Point.

Let’s be careful … but not miserable … out there.

John

2 Likes

Why more people don’t think to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors is beyond me

1 Like

We enjoy walking outside on the good weather days. We have parks and trails for variety. Our daughter lives in the Bay area. We enjoy the ocean when we visit. And some of the restaurants too.

2 Likes

We’re planning a spring waterfall trip in three weeks. Hitting up all the falls between western Colorado and Twin Falls, ID. We haven’t planned on letting covid-19 stop us. Heck, we might even be safer in the barely populated parks. Of course, we’re starting to worry about people/government stupidity interfering. At this point, we don’t know if state/national parks will remain open and how difficult it will be to get gas for the car.

1 Like

That is my big concern also:that the national parks will be closed. After 2 years without vacations due to health I’m eager to visit them. I may not get many more opportunities to see them.

1 Like

We had to move out trip until June.heading to Georgia. Wanted to do it next week,oh well. Nancy50

Sightseeing or visiting family, Nancy?

Visiting our daughter , plus family on an Army base. We just figured move it as she could be deployed. It is our 40 th wedding anniversary this year. We wanted to end Maine winter in the South. We are safe and healthy .That is what counts. Be safe everyone. Nancy50

2 Likes