Who Needs An Old CGM Anyway? GRRRR!

On that basis, would they cover the Minimed Guardian system, since the sensors are only FDA approved for 3 days?

I would definitely appeal this though - odds are good they are relying on you accepting the first denial as just how things are - if you appeal it, especially with the support of your endo, I would bet that they will change their minds.

Well the insurance folks can hide behind the AMA, FDA, ADA and all sorts of other entities involved in bolstering their alleged science. It could be a very interesting case?

I’m sorry to hear about your insurance… I would try to write a letter to the company. On another side note, you said you haven’t had a high as high as 201 in over a year… THATS INCREDIBLE! i can’t even imagine that… I’m usually above 200 an hour/hour half after my meals before it comes down again. And then of course even then i still get high blood sugars. Guess that’s not a good sign for my future health :frowning:

But when it comes to exercising… I’m actually studying to get certified as a personal trainer. I work out at least 3x a week pretty intensely and have learned about how my blood sugars react to exercise. Any sort of moderate exercise drops my sugar very quickly… The only thing i’ve been able to do to prevent it is to make sure my sugar is high before i exercise. I’m also super sensitive to insulin after exercising, after exercise my insulin ratio is less than half of what they should be.

Interestingly enough the past 6 months i’ve been doing some intense weight lifting without cardio and I find that lifting is actually causing my blood sugar to rise… After doing a bit of research i’ve learned that it’s because of the glucagon being released to give energy to the muscles…along with growth hormones etc.

But since you’re a better diabetic than I am and probably don’t want to raise your blood sugar just to exercise, I would suggest (along with glucose tabs or jelly beans etc.) to keep a moderately carb drink with you like gatorade that you can drink while exercising. How often do you check while exercising? I usually check before hand to make sure my sugar is high enough (i know that sounds bad) and in the middle, and then at the end if i feel shakey (although my body is usually shakey after big weights)

Thanks Tom! I test before, half way through, and after my one hour workouts. I am going to start eating a jelly bean after each exercise/machine. Normally one bean /1 carb raises my BG 3 or 4 points. I do 12 exercises, so I could end up having a BG that is 36-48 points higher than usual. i can adjust accordingly if I am too high/low before driving home.

I am going to have to get a new pump this year since my present MM 522 pump expires in June. If I get the MM Revel at that time, I will probably use their CGM, provided my insurance will cover it.

In the meantime, I have read replies from two MM CGM users who say they are getting 2 weeks or more out of their sensors. I had never heard that was possible before. Have you?

You can extend the time of the MM sensors very easily to 6 days - it can be done from the pump by doing some resets. But getting more than that is more difficult, since it requires unplugging the sensor from the transmitter and charging the transmitter. It is hard to unplug it since it is typically tegadermed or taped over; you need to peel up the tegaderm and separate the sensor from the transmitter, charge it, then cover it all back up. Not fun and easy to pull the sensor out by mistake.

If you’re used to the Dex, you may not like the MM - the sensor has a larger needle that I found very intimidating to insert. It would be good to try one out before you commit to it. MM has a new one coming with a smaller needle similar to the Dex, but I don’t know when that one will be approved.

Also I got a sore red spot when I tried leaving mine in for more than six days. It finally healed but it took a long time. Don’t know if that is typical or not.

Jag, that is very useful info. Thanks! I have also considered using my MM 522 beyond expiration. Then when the Animas + Dexcom comes out near the end of this year (I hope) I could start using that combo. If my insurance still refuses to cover the Dexcom, then I will have to use the Dex I now have and occasionally buy the extras, or just quit using a CGM if it becomes too expensive.