Why biosim?

Why did Eli Lily make Lisipro? It’s the only biosimilar insulin.
Why would they manufacture something to compete with their own product, Humalog, at a lower cost?

Does it lockdown the market somehow if they make it first?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I wondered about that. But, there’s not just one possible biosimilar, right? Seems possible that you might be able to make MANY biosimilars? I’m gonna ask the question directly…Are they trying to beat Mayo at this game? Is Mayo’s effort at risk here?

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Thanks for weighing in, John. This is pretty complicated. It helps to discus it. ADA writes writes about the legal definition of these words (which is, in itself, difficult to unravel). Maybe I need to figure out why they call Lisipro a ‘biosimilar’ of Humalog and why the Mayo has the legal right to make it.

https://www.diabetes.org/blog/insulin-now-biologic-what-does-mean

1st legally approved biosimilar: FDA Approves First Interchangeable Biosimilar Insulin Product for Treatment of Diabetes | FDA

2nd legally approved biosimilar: FDA Approves Second Biosimilar Insulin Product, Rezvoglar (insulin glargine-aglr)   | PracticeUpdate.

1 Like

Lisipro might not be a biosimilar. Its a generic: Eli Lilly Launching Lower-Priced Authorized Generic of Its Insulin Lispro

Here’s something on the market cost of insulin: Increases in Insulin Prices Drove Spending Over 4 Years, Report Says

I’ve used the insulin from Walmart on occasion. My blood glucose levels are not as tight with it, but when I made modifications to the basal and other settings on my pump, it worked well enough. My preference is to order insulin online from a reputable Canadian pharmacy i’ve used for several years. Even with insurance, insulins like Novolog & Humalog - formulas unchanged since the 1990s and which cost under $10/bottle - are unaffordable. The same insulin is ~ $45 in Canada.

I used NPH over covid for a bit when I had trouble with Rx’s. I liked it well enough.