Why do I do this to myself?

I know the Quick set topic has been discussed extensively, but I am adding another frustration topic with them. I switched to Sure-T’s because I had problems with the the Quick-sets. I still have a partial box of the quicks that I use here and there to use them up. I had one on for three days prior and I got a no delivery alarm. Tried again, and all was okay. It was the first time I have ever had that. I decided last night to put another QS in (I know, I am a glutton for punishment). I had a feeling upon insertion that it did not go in right. Stayed up for two hours afterwards and bs was a little high, but not too bad. Got up this morning, and really high. Nothing to eat since way before set change. Took a correction. One hour later only dropped 5 points. Went to work and 4 hours after getting up still high. Changed set with a Sure-T and bs dropped to normal within an hour (after a correction). Luckily I carry spares with me. I know they are not needed with the Sure-T’s, but since I am still fairly new to the pumping world, I don’t take any chances.

I wish I could be one of the people that have zero problems with the Quick-Sets. But I guess if had zero problems, I would not have discovered the Sure-T’s. Thanks Dave for that. And speaking of Dave, I am sure he will tell me “I told you so”, and why did I use them. I will definetly just use them for emergencies from here on out. Just wanted to vent a little. Kind of has ruined my whole day because I don’t like being high, makes me feel awful, and now I know why I didn’t sleep goo.

I am currently trying a box of Orbit 90’s and I’ve gotten 2 out of 4 so far… I never had good luck with the quicksets when I used them early in 2002, but I thought I’d try these since they were free, and I seem to be having similar issues… I think my body just doesn’t work well with 90 degree sets.

I’ve only had one inset 30 fail (meaning no insulin delivery) out of 12, and I think I want to blame that one on scar tissue, not on the set itself. With the Orbits, the first the insertion just went bad, it hurt to much to even push the hub on, and when I pulled it out, blood immediately ran all the way down my leg before I could even grab anything to stop it with, and it continued to bleed profusely for about 5 minutes… I have a pretty wicked bruise to show for it now (I realize that’s more my fault than the infusion set’s fault, but still… that never happens to me with angled sets). I tried again and that was fine… I wore that one for 3 days and it was fine. I changed one out this morning, and got a no delivery immediately upon bolusing. The cannula was already kinked when I pulled it out… less than 2 minutes after putting it on. I really don’t understand that unless it happened when I snapped the hub on. Just proof that 90 degree sets are a bad idea. I’m going to keep using them until the box is gone, but I can honestly say that I don’t have really high hopes :frowning:

SURE-T, IS THE BEST WHY, BEACAUSE QUICK SET DOESN,T WORK, ALWAYS HIGH, THE PROBLEM IS THE PUMP HAS A REALLY LOW PRESSURE, SO MOST OF THE TIME THE CANULA TUOCH NERV, OR TOO MUCH FAT, AND THE INSULINE GET ENCAPSULATED, WITH SURE T, ALWAYS WHEN THE PUMP IS SENDING INSULINE DO A MASSAGE TO THE PATCH WHERE IS THE NEEDLE, AND YOU WELL SEE THE DIF.

Dave, I think that you should just change your profile name to Sure-T man :slight_smile: You have quite a reputation!

Good news is that after about a year of asking for them, Medtronic is going to start carrying Sure-T’s in Hungary. So hopefully I will be a member of the Sure-T fan club by Christmas!!

Yes! I sing the praises of Sure-T’s. I am so happy that I learned about them here on TuDiabetes. They are amazing. I can put them anywhere without worry. Love them, love them, love them! Kristin, you are going to love them too. Did I mention that I love them. Dave, did I tell you thank you and that I love them recently? LOL!

Guess I’m the unusual one again. I have consistently been using QuickSets for 4 years and have encountered not a single problem. I can use 6 or 9mm and have no troubles. I have a lot of scar tissue on my stomach from 20 years ot MDDI with dull needles(used them over and over). I usually use the QS on my side or upper thigh. My upper thigh is like “fertile soil” and I get outstanding infusion there, so it’s where I use most times now.
Seems many complain about MM CGMS, yet it has worked fantastic for me. Many times it and my blood stick meter test are identical. They complain about inserting the sensor. Yes, it did look a bit intimidating, but I rarely feel anything on my sides when I put a new sensor. My A1C’s are coming down, when I get an alarm, it is because it is happening to me.
All I can say is that I am most thankful.

I use Quick-sets and Sils…I recently tried Sure-T’s and had an awful experience. I don’t know what I did wrong. However, my BG just skyrocketed, with large ketones…obviously, insulin wasn’t going in(I tried 2 Sure-T’s that night, and just kept going up). Anyway, I am terrified to try again. I pay OOP for infusion sets…so I hate the fact I am wasting the rest of the Sure-T’s.

I can’t use Quick-sets directly on my stomach, as I always get no delivery alarms…so I just use my arms, and the ‘love handle’ area(there is a little extra there…which I am embarrassed to say LOL). I really like Sils, but for whatever reason…the site always starts to get red and irritated on day two with them.

I am glad you found something that worked for you! I am sorry you had a bad experience with Quick-sets again!

Wow! Sorry that you had problems with the Sure-T’s. I think you might be the first that I have heard of. Just goes to show how each of us are so different as diabetics, don’t it? Some have no problems with QS and some do. You can’t handle Sure-t’s, and a lot like them. If I had to pay OOP for sets, I would not want to use them again either.

Oh, I know!..I must admit, I heard such good things from them here, I honestly thought I WOULD love them! It could have simply been ‘operator’ error, however, I am not that interested in testing that out. It seemed pretty straightfoward putting it in. Either way, I still don’t think it is a bad set, it just doesn’t like me!

To me they are pretty full proof, so I can not imagine what you could have done wrong. I have had an issue with them not sticking and wasn’t making a good contact. I forgot to tape it down. I did that and all was well.