Quickset red alert!

Has this happened to any of you? It's happened to me twice in the past 10 days.

I inserted a new quickset and apparently the connection from the tubing part to the part that stays on your body was loose...and so it detached without me knowing it! I didn't find out in one case until I went to the bathroom and discovered it dangling out from under my top; today I woke up, tested (VERY high), gave myself a bolus, ate breakfast, then went to shower and...lo and behold, again, the tubing was just hanging down under my nightgown, not attached to the site. I reclipped it, but discovered it only took the slightest movement for it to detach, I didn't even have to press on the sides to turn it. In fact, I could turn it to come off just by hitting the tubing lightly!

The first time it happened, I thought it was just a fluke, like maybe I somehow hit the side of the set and popped it off. That time I was able to reconnect and it seemed okay, so I didn't bother calling Medtronic. But now it's happened twice, so I'm wondering if it's happened to any of you quickset users?

I reported it to Medtronic today, and they have asked me to send the defective set (used and all) back. But the tech who took the report made a comment that disturbed me...he said "it doesn't happen very often, but I have heard of this before." That's downright scary!

Ruth

I agree with Dave - Sure-T infusion sets are the way to go! It’s a shame that the only infusion sets pushed by the reps are the Quicksets and Silhouettes. Until I started reading this forum I did not even know about Sure-Ts and now, I use only Sure-Ts.

What are Sure T’s like…and where does one get them? The way things work now, Medtronic automatically sends me refills and bills my insurance company. Unless the supplier can do that, I can’t use them, as my insurance company has no way to reimburse me, as an individual, for out of pocket expenses.

Ruth

This has been an issue with the Quick Sets for years. I always wiggle my infusion line vigorously before I trust it. One of the quirky things about the quick set is that you can remove a line connector w/o twisting it all the way back to the reload position. The inverse can also happen when you connect it, it will stop twisting before the latex whole lines up with the infusion line.

It has always been like this, but recently it seems to be more pronounced in the product.

Be kind Dave, I do like the connection despite the quirks.

BTW, what did you get any hints from MM on this happening to others.

Yes…that comment about “this doesn’t happen very often, but I’ve heard of it before.” You can bet I’ll be double-checking my connection from now on whenever I insert a new site.

Ruth

I do a wiggle, tug and wiggle now…I mean with the infusion set.

Call up Medtronic. Tell them you want Sure-T infusion sets. They will contact your MD and get the prescription. And then, you should start getting Sure-Ts regularly. You can also send back the Quicksets that are unopened boxes and get Sure-Ts in exchange.

I didn’t know that! Thanks for the correction, Dave.

I use quicksets and I haven’t had that problem. I’m sure out of the thousands that are produced a few bad ones get through but at 12 bucks a priece make them send you new ones.

Oh, they overnighted me two new sets, Richard. I’ve always found them to be very good about replacing things like that (except for the lot 8 fiasco!).

I was really surprised to hear that others of you have experienced this. I’ve been pumping for close to 8 years, using quicksets the whole time, and this is the first time I ever had a problem with them.

"I’m sure out of the thousands that are produced a few bad ones get through " Well, at $12.00 a pop. I think their quality control should be a lot better! I’m one of the lucky ones, in that I don’t produce ketones, but if I did, I would have been in serious trouble when it detached during the night and I woke up with a bg of well over 400. Since this is literally a life or death situation for many, I think they need to up their quality control oversight.

Ruth

I have only had my MM pump for about a month now, and I have already had this experience. I thought it was that perhaps I hadnt reconected it all the way after my shower the night before, because I also had woken up with a high BG, and the tubing and my pump were laying on the floor next to my bed!