Why do tu members leave the tu community?

I miss Josephine too, and yes I am one of the people that still will write on her page. Some people we just get along with and form a bond. When members leave I just think that they have their reasons and that is a private matter. Life throws us curveballs and many need to break away and move on. I NEED TuD…gives me purpose and sanity, Boy, do I need it!! LOL

Sweet Terrie.

Do you hear from Josephine Robyn? I know that you two were Very close.

Spring & Gerri
I agree! That is why I didn’t just ask where certain members were and tried to tackle the issue without giving names. I figured the issue of being banned or leaving was bigger than just the few people I was looking for. Thanks.

Gerri, that is usually because when people decide to leave they do it in the real world and not online. I have taken long breaks from the online world and never really told anyone because they really don’t know me. To some this is just words on a screen, to others this is dealing with real people. People tend to get disconnected from one or the other world and do not know how to have a balance.

No I don’t. I worry about her and hope she is doing okay. Miss her. She was a sweetie and so funny.

Brock,
If members decide to actually close their account, not just go MIA, they have the option of stating a reason. Trying to shed some light on the process regarding Mikey’s question. The answer is that we don’t know.

Hmmm… I’ve been less active for a while, mainly because I “got the hang of it,” but I come here several times a week to lurk and once in a while to participate or catch up with someone who is wondering what happened to me.

I’m on another site (non-diabetes related) and I notice that conflict tends to make people leave. But the same people who don’t like conflict also create it by being outspoken and brutally honest. Frankly, watching all the melee in action gets boring. It’s often the same arguments (like T1 vs. T2) and they never really get resolved, and then people like to come in and stir up the embers.

In the end, you take the people you like and you keep them as friends, and ignore the rest. That’s life. Best not to get too riled up about people you barely know - which is for the most part true about people online. Keep it at arm’s length, be polite and friendly, and put it all in perspective.

I’m kind of young as far as T2 diabetes goes, but I do know whatever your type its not a lone ranger ride. Everyone needs someone even if its just to say, Hey how you doing? I belong to a few other diabetic sites and sometime people will argue over who got it the worst and the one thing thats over looked the most is all of the people on Tu and the other sites have one thing in common we all have diabetes of one type or another. And it great to have a site like this and some of the others to go to and find friends who may have the information you need to beat this beast. Not everyone is going to agree with the other, but its sure nice to know people who willing to say Hi how can I help.

My original question was directed toward people that have been “no longer a member” (AKA, banned or canceled their account) and not just people that haven’t posted in a while. But I think all types need to be discussed. So carry on.

I think I am guilty of the T1 vs T2 debate somewhat. I will try to be more considerate. As Manny stated about a survey, I believe we should be on the same website for sure!!
:slight_smile:

Really? I would think that if someone says something on the way out, protesting something, that it is sort of our duty to reiterate their complaints?

Lizmari didn’t leave did she? I think she redid her sign-on as The Diabetic Wellfare Queen. I just talked to her on here like a month ago? She looked GREAT.

Emmy- I’m sorry you don’t feel the love here. There are always things that people will say that will hurt our feelings or make us angry. If I see a discussion that I know will push a hot button, I just stop reading and move on. There are ALWAYS going to be disagreements. And people in general like to play the “who’s got it worse game”, looking for some sort of life confirmation for what they have to deal with on a daily basis. I just try to stay motivated, open-minded, and informed. I hope that my posts have helped people in the past. I know TuD has been a FANTASTIC resource for me. There will be disagreements here, but we’re spread across the entire WORLD. There are so many other factors and lifestyle situations, medical care disputes, etc that will cause us to argue. But in the end, I think we are all looking for the same thing- a better life living with something we wish we didn’t have to deal with.

Type 1 for 13 years- Metformin, 20+ shots per day, no CGM, no pump, 7 months pregnant and counting

I left for an entire year while my real life was getting turned around. I never forgot you guys, but I just never logged on. In that year I was gone, I ended a 10 year relationship, moved twice, got married, had a miscarriage & new pregnancy, lowered my A1c by 2%. It was an eventful year and I am happy to be back with you guys.

I’m not sure if I’m remembering the correct person, but I think Josephine wrote a few blogs about how she didn’t feel respected here. Just before she left, many of her posts and comments were angry. I wrote her a few times, trying to reason with her not to leave, but I don’t know if she ever received them. Hope she’s well.

No, she got kicked off. She changed her nick several times but she still is gone, gone, gone.

As a matter of good manners & fair play to members who are no longer here, please let’s stick to discussing Mikey’s general question & not individual members.

I get what you’re saying, Gerri, but I don’t like not being able to say that someone is in fact gone from the site when they are gone from the site. Not being able to mention them, and them not being able to mention themselves, converts them into an Orwellian non-person, as if they never existed.

Non-members have access to Tu, though they can’t comment, of course. Imagine how someone would feel being discussed & not being able to reply. Sufficient to say he/she is no longer a member without info that the person was suspended to respect their privacy. Unless someone deletes his/her account, all their comments remain for posterity.