Why why why do I do it to myself?

Why I ask, do I insist on eating too much sugar? I didn’t NEED those sweets, but my levels went a little low and I ended up eating too many. My levels are now high.
WHY?
Am I the only person who does this?! I went over to my boyfriends house today and I always just end up eating more there. It really bothers me. No amount of insulin seems to be able to cope with the ridiculous amount of sugar I ate.
Yes I’m angry at myself. I don’t know why I don’t just listen to those voices in my head?
Please tell me I’m not the only one who too often falls victim to their taste buds?!

You are certainly not the only one. I did the very same thing yesterday and I never do it. My daughter’s birthday was yesterday and I always cut just enough cake for myself so I can get about 4 or 5 bites. In the evening, I decided I needed another 4 or 5 bites and ended up eating about 20! I woke up with such a severe headache about 4am and my sugar was 389. I’m so dissappointed and mad at myself today. I have it back down thanks to my insulin but I hate being so out of control.

happened to me last night. I’m a notorious overtreater.

I have been really bad today at lunch…I will be paying for it I am sure. Don’t feel alone…most of us give in.

Update…so you don’t feel so bad. I just ate 6 hershey kisses. I will be injecting here again very soon.

XXRobyn

I have been on this train ride lately myself. I have been on the bike more lately and I take a break after 5 miles. I carry a big bag of jelly beans with me. I had a few instances where I went low as soon as I came home. That is why i carry the jelly beans now. I eat 5 and they taste so good, then pretty soon I am eating about 20 of them cause I cant stop. Its hard to fight that temptation. I get back and check and I am about 160. so I have to go back out for another 20 minutes to bring down those sugars. Seems excercise is helping these days. We all have our moments of tempation. take care

I was on the roller coaster for the longest time. There are a couple things that got me out of it (or at least I attribute to correcting the problem).

1. Don’t get into the habit of correcting low sugar with something you secretly want to eat a ton of. Use those glucose tablets. I was always in the mind set of “why eat some sugar I don’t really want when I can just eat ice cream”. This usually causes you to eat too much sugar. Definitely avoid carbohydrates to solve sugar issues (always use simple sugars). They won’t bring your low up quick enough and you will definitely end up eating too much.

2. If you use a pump, perhaps you parameters are out of whack. I was in a really situation for a while because I would over bolus, over eat (because I was sooo sooo low), over bolus, over eat pee pee pee pee, never ever sleep.

3. And this is the dangerous one. Be comfortable with lower blood sugar. Background, I went to work in Norway, I was sooo excited. But they require very low HbA1C to work there. When my chance to stay working there was threatened by this, I went on diabetes lock down. I tried to push my limits on comfort with lows more and more. I monitored 10-20 times a day. I would get ridiculously meticulous about the bolus wizard on my pump. The result. When originally I thought my genetics made me more comfortable at 150-210, I was wrong, it was just my body was so used to higher numbers. Now I am normal feeling at 60-80. Now you ask. Why is this useful? Well, if you feel low and your normal feeling is high you have a tendency to eat a lot. If your normal is lower, you will have a tendency to need very little sugar to get back to normal feeling.

The last one you really have to be weary with. It takes time and work to get comfortable lower. But it drastically changes HbA1c and average mg/l and it generally makes you healthier and easier to control.

Good luck.