Why why why

I haven't written a lot, but I really think I should get more active here.
Lately, I have been having crazy lows-
All since Thursday!!!!
I've been doing better, my diabetes has been more controlled now than ever in my life but sometimes I just get frustrated. I'm home sick from work today because I just dont have any energy left. Does having frequent lows make anyone else extremely tired?? Just wondering...

Hi Liz, even small seasonal changes in temperature can have a big impact on glucose control - this is even true for Tel Aviv. Our level of physical activity will change and taken scientifically I suppose you can even calculate how much more effective the insulin will work in the upper layers of the skin at higher temperatures. It might be even possible that the cells in the upper layers are now consuming more carbs due to the increased reaction time. Three weeks ago we had temps of -16C and lower. Now we have +10C and more in Germany. For me this adjustment is always a challenge. I really recommend to do something about the lows. They should be treated with the same respect and care as the highs. With your Omnipod you can try lower temporary basal rates from day to day to find the rate that will work without lows.

YES! I had a recent Forum post about this very issue. I can be going along and doing well for weeks, and suddenly, I have lows that I can only fight with something very high carb. Then, after I eat the forbidden, my sugar levels climb to the dangerous high condition. IT takes a day to get things back to normal, and than I am fine. I think it happens more with my pump than it did while on MDI, because I was typically out of control with MDI.

I wish I had an answer. It is something that just happens. It usually happens on a day even I need to get several tasks accomplished. I can't attribute it to anything, but it certainly is frustrating.

Be well.

Brian Wittman

Thanks so much for the responses....I never knew that about the temperature. We definitely have been going through changes here (not quite as drastic as in Germany though :).
Thankfully I can sometimes fight back the lows without getting too high but my BG history average is around 130 bc i have a lot of 60's and a lot of 200's...
I'm excited for my Dr. appointment and in the meantime I lowered my basal a little bit because the swings have been really hard on my body.
But a friend recently suggested I can also cut back 10% on my bolus, I haven't done this yet but it doesn't seem like it would be that effective because my carbohydrate ratio is 1:10, will it really make a difference to change 10% of that?

Can you see a pattern? Has your exercise changed? Hormones? New medications? Change in diet? New job? New hobby? New anything?

Must be something with the moon. My little trip to the low sugars zone started on Wednesday at work. I finally got over 100 this morning.

Oh you bet I feel like crap after lows. One is enough to do me in. Someone on here called it a low sugar hangover and if you think about it that fits pretty well.

Stay with it and it will pass. Just hang on for the ride but always remember...you can do it!

Greetings. I agree, lows will make you very tired. That's what they do to me. When I have extreme lows... 40's & below, I am very wiped out, have a bad headache, and usually recover by taking a nap. Sometimes you can figure out what the cause may be, like weather, etc., but, unfortunately, sometimes you can't, which will be frustrating!