Why won't they listen?

In my mid 20s I began to show signs of diabetes, in my 30s I was diagnosed after getting a bg reading of 400 by my doctor. Since I was overweight the doc gave me a type 2 diabetes diagnoses. Unfortunately none of the medications seemed to work: even 2000mg of daily metformin had zero effect, nor did avandia. What did work was intense exercise and weight loss - in my 30s. Now in my 40s even a single meal a day of a small salad sends my levels over 200.

My father was given a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes after a 500 bg reading in his early 40s and told he had just a few years left to live. He had to adjust his life considerably because his levels would bounce between 400+ and hypos under 50 regularly. In fact he would often stop taking insulin for a few weeks at a time.

No thanks to any doctors I found through my own research that my father and I both had symptoms of MODY3. My father managed to convince his doctor to give him prandin instead of insulin and is doing fantastic. I was doing excellent on glipizide and nighttime insulin. Unfortunately every time I get better some Doctor decides I am too fat and cuts my meds which skyrockets my levels. I have complications now with my vision. It really feels like the doctors are trying to kill me. They keep saying the treatment for MODY is the same as for type 2. If that’s true why do I have complications even after losing weight? Why are my fasting bg levels normal yet my A1Cs in the 9 to 11 range? Why are doctors so arrogant that they let their patients suffer just to fit their academic theories about type 2 and weight?

1 Like

Unfortunately many doctors are not only not empathetic, they are also not particular competent with diagnoses such as MODY, it’s implications and it’s treatment. I have to run, but I do feel for you. You can read some of my journey trying to see if I have MODY and what I learned over at my blog at http://brian-the-bsc.blogspot.com/.

1 Like

@Troy5 are you seeing a primary care provider or an endocrinologist? Do you think it’s time to change your doctor?

1 Like