Young and mad

as being a new diabetic one thing that has drove me insane is that you never see a lot of campaigns a lot of runs or walks or buy this or anything along those lines for diabetics but for breast cancer… i mean im not saying anything against anyone thats diagnosed with breat cancer, my grandma was years ago but still… i feel like the most recoverable cancer is being the one that is getting the most money raised for it, i want or want to be something that can make the cure for diabetes be bigger than that, we deal with this disease for the rest of our life, day in and day out and still as we get older. is it not something that poeple with this disease want to CURE…Its something that we live with EVERYDAY…EVERYNIGHT… its something thats going to happen to us forEVER…I wish this would be something that more poeple around the world would know more about and would love to donate their money to too… But ive also heard that the Jdrf DOES NOT donate their money towards diabetic cures. Maybe im wrong but thats what ive been told. I dont know maybe someone can change my mind but it kills me everyday to constantly see EVERYTHING on commerical but DIABETES but the same ■■■■ that tells ur where we cna get stuff from, where is anyhting about cure or money, race, run anything for us…???

Heather, you may want to check out The Diabetes Research Institute - here - they also have a place on the website where you can get a bracelet that says “I’m tired of diabetes” on a little charm. I’ve had it for 42 years, and I’m pretty tired of it.

Yo.
I think you’re mistaken. Im have participated in the walks/bikes since i got the disease when i was seven. You’d be surprised how much support we get. Every year for the JDRF walk to cure diabetes and my family alone raises more than $20,000! It’s super great. Plus there are SO many ways to get involved in your local chapter- Im 15 and I know all the people there and volunteer there every once in a while.

But you are correct- there isn’t enough marketing out there for diabetes. Although I love those commercials with wilford brimley. what a crazy cat…anyway, while diabetes may not have as big of a campaign as say breast cancer, getting involved personally can help A LOT.

hope that helps raise dem spirits!

There are bike a thons, walks, runs and several other kinds of fundraisers to find a cure for diabetes. JDRF raises money for cures every year.

But you are correct, diabetics don’t call much attention to their disease and this is the problem. I’d love to figure out a way to make it as front page as breast cancer is right now.

I’ve been frustrated lately, too. I don’t know why, but sometimes I just wish someone would hear us loud and clear. It’s the invisible disease that people don’t see as serious because there’s TREATMENT. And like you said, nothing again people with cancer, but isn’t that what cemo is, too? JUST a TREATMENT? It’s not a cure.

I’ve been at this for 16 1/2 years and I’m tired of it. I’m in control, I’m doing everything I’m supposed to be doing, but I feel really helpless sometimes.

I’m walking next week in a JDRF walk and it’s lit the fire under me. The team I’m walking with has shirts and I plan on wearing it out, hoping someone will ask me if they can help. I found a website that makes those plastics bracelets and I have one that says “Cure Diabetes” and my husband and I have been wearing them this week and I plan on giving more to my family. WE have to be the ones to get the word out there. Let the world know that you’re tired of it. Let the world know that it’s not an OK disease just because we have insulin. It effects every part of our lives and every member of our family.

Heather, Just as October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Diabetes gets its own time too. Please read this.

This November, join the American Diabetes Association in a national movement to Stop Diabetes.

November is American Diabetes Month®—a time to shine a spotlight on a serious disease that leads to potentially life-threatening complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness, and amputation.

This year, we need to take a bolder, more audacious approach to American Diabetes Month. Consider that:

•24 million children and adults in the United States live with diabetes
•57 million Americans are at risk for type 2 diabetes
•1 out of every 3 children born today will face a future with diabetes if current trends continue
We ask you to join the American Diabetes Association in launching a national movement to Stop Diabetes—help us confront it, fight it, and most importantly, stop it.

Check back for more information on this new movement. In the meantime, learn how you can become involved:

•Share. Inspire others to join the movement by sharing your personal story. Beginning November 2, visit stopdiabetes.com and join us on Facebook and Twitter to learn about all the exciting ways to be a part of the Stop Diabetes movement. Invite your family, friends, and co-workers to join this effort as well.
•Act. Whether you want to walk, bike or simply tell a friend, there will be many ways to help us build momentum for the Stop Diabetes movement.
•Learn. The American Diabetes Association has many resources throughout the country to help Stop Diabetes. If you, or a loved one, already have diabetes or are at risk for developing it, we can provide medical, lifestyle and motivational information to prevent this disease from taking control of your life and the lives of those around you.
•Give. Sign up with your local American Diabetes Association office to help raise money for diabetes research, federal and state advocacy and public education.

Find out what programs and activities are happening in your local community during American Diabetes Month.

Just ordered my bracelet.