10 Best iPhone & Android Apps for Diabetics

Published in Healthline
August 28, 2012

According to the 2011 National Diabetes Fact Sheet, over eight percent of Americans have diabetes and a staggering three times as many are prediabetics.

Fortunately, diabetes can be managed through a combination of proper medical care and self-care. In other words along with regular doctor visits, patients must also be diligent about monitoring their blood sugar, taking medication and/or insulin (as prescribed by their physician), and following an appropriate diet and exercise regimen. Since the who, what, when, where, how, and why can all seem overwhelming, many apps have been developed to help you better manage your diabetes on the go. Here are 10 of our favorites to supplement your existing physician-supervised care. Click on each icon to learn more.

1 Like

They totally ignored the Windows Phone 7 / 8 ecosystem. This is kind of sad because for this platform our Glucosurfer App is one of the best. On Android we are in the testing phase of our latest version with offline capabilities and the vizualization of the current phase in the Menstrual Cycle (something we are very proud of):

I had been using OnTrack on my Android for a while but I recently started using Glucosurfer. It's great. When I was entering past data the bolus wizard (even using default settings for ratios) correctly predicted almost every high and low I experienced.

Added bonus for being able to enter data from either my phone or a browser and to share the results live with my endo.

I personally use the Wave Sense logbook app and Go Meals. I tried Glucose Buddy for a bit but didn't find the interface user friendly. I've found the Wave Sense app intuitive and love the trend chart feature. It looks exactly the same as Sanofi's iBGstar app (which, by the way, you can download for free and even if you don't use the meter). Go Meals is the best carb counting app I've seen: comprehensive, easy to use, and doesn't require internet. Score!

Our Android App is out now. You can find the free edition here. If you like it you can switch to the App in Google Play to support our project.

I am thinking of perhaps getting a new phone (would be my first "smart" phone). I'd like to hear more people's opinions on the best apps!

i use the ibgstar tracker. also tried out some others. if you have motivational problems mysugr may help. (not sure if available in the US.) another cool app is the LogFrog diabetes manager. trying out the patient.co.uk app right now. so far ibgstar is the best for me (i dont wanna pay or sign up), but one problem is that you can send and print out the data only in a table that is not overlooking at all. if anyone has some advice there help would be appreciated.

I use a new tool for Android devices called Advanced Insulin Advisor. It is an insulin bolus calculator that takes into account even active insulin remaining into the body, set carbohydrates directly from a predefined meals database with pictures, etc. I use it daily. You can read about it on ifrdesign.com. It is free.

I use AIA Advisor, too. Very helpful!!