2-day Sensors & Wacky Adhesive!

Ok. Dexters. I am having a problem with the adhesive!

I can’t get more than 2 days out of a sensor before it practically slides off my skin.
I've NEVER had a problem with the OmniPod adhesive staying stuck...I normally have to pry it off my skin!
I've read (almost) EVERY discussion about keeping Dexcoms and OmniPods stuck...but despite my best efforts I'm not getting more than 2 days out of the sensor pods.
The adhesive is peeling up, leaving a sticky residue underneath and then even a teensy droplet of water and the whole thing is held on by just the inserted sensor wire! And once it falls off... I have to use unisolve to get all the leftover adhesive off my skin!

What works for you?
Tegaderm under, or over? FlexiFix over the whole thing, or with a hole cut into it? Having your pet Orca lick the insertion site and drying it with a ray gun before gently smoothing on the adhesive? Mastitol, SkinTac or SkinPrep?

HELP!

(I've decided not to waste another sensor until I hear back from you guys, my Endo, and the local Dex rep...)

Mastisol applied liberally at the edges of the sensor tape (and surrounding skin) and then flexifix on top… I have gotten as much as 12 days from this, but usually more like 8-10. I usually only have to replace it once over the useful life of the sensor (I wear almost all of mine at least two weeks).

I’ve tried skin-tac, and my skin doesn’t really like it… I’ve used other tapes (IV3000, hypafix, and tegaderm) and I like the flexifix the best, because it seems to be the strongest yet kindest to my skin.

I use the Flexifix tape. I cut 4 pieces and just stick a piece to each side of the Dex adhesive and that holds it pretty good for me.

I use Skin Tac H and flexifix the edges, using strips of flexifix similar to using tape…
the tegs only worsened the problem (both without and with a hole cut in them for the insertion wire… or putting a teg over the dex with a hole cut to ft the dexcom assembly)…

Other technique iv tried with some sucess is using alcohol then skin prep the entire area (still prefer to leave a little circle of clear space for the sensor to insert though)… then flexfix like tape…)

I first use SkinPrep, then apply a latex adhesive like Skin-Bond or Osto-Bond (except an area where the sensor wire will penetrate), wait a few minutes then insert new sensor. I then apply Polyskin with an area cutout for the sensor/transmitter (I think Tegaderm will work equally as well). This works great for me. I do a lot of road biking and I easily get a week or more out of a sensor despite all the sweating I do. Good luck.

Orca saliva works pretty well for me, but sea lion sweat and UV light is the best…

But seriously, I don’t have many problems with the adhesive but when I do, I just cut a hole in a sheet of tagaderm and stick it over the top.

I use Elf kisses and pixie dust on mine. Yes it is expensive and cruel keeping them caged up but hey it sucks being diabetic!

Flexifix with a hole cut out or four pieces work for me. I can get 21 days out of a sensor now.

My Pods stick much better.

Usually the tape needs some Mastisol after day 10. After one week the tape looks the same as on day one. I was always wondering why I am not having the same tape issues. I shave the area while I am in the shower before attaching a new sensor. Would be interesting to know whether this makes a difference.

I struggled with this too when I got my Dex a few months ago. After trying different solutions, I finally found using the combo of skin prep and Skin Tac works the best for me!

Well I don’t have hairy arms, so I don’t think that is the problem for me? (and I do scrub well before putting one on) Nothing sticks to me well… it’s not just a problem with the dexcom sensors.

Initially I shaved to remove hairs. But then I read about skin cells dying and shedding. This Is when I decided to shave areas without hairs just to remove the dead skin cells. Scrubbing sounds like it would do the same.

At least SOMEONE got the joke thrown in there!

You know, if the elf is Diabetic I bet the kisses would make the adhesive stick better…

Thanks everyone!

That was my favorite part…

You all rock my socks!

Just wanted to let you all know I got a lovely box of sticky stuff from Diabetes Wholesale!
Everyone wasn’t kidding when they told me about the FlexiFix!!!
I LOVE THIS STUFF!
I’ve got it keeping my OmniPod on, my latest Dex sensor, which was almost completely OFF is now stuck tight to me!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!