2nd February Query: How do YOU support your support system?

She's more like to bite me that love me, Trudy!

Now it's my husband and he's been there for 27 years no matter what I said to him or how I said it. (U know lows and highs can make u do and say really dumb things) Bless him. When my mom was alive it was both him & her mainly. What have I done for them in return??? When my mom was dying I made sure I was there for her. She could say anything she wanted or do anything she wanted I just wanted to make surte she knew I would do as much for her as I could humanly do. My husband is the greatest at thking care of me now by himself. When my mom was alive we made it a deal that once a week if I could I took her & my kids along with my husband out to eat whatever they wanted too. Not much I know but it was my way of repaying them for helping me out. My dad was always invited too he just didn't come at all.

I am not sure what you mean by a support system. For the most part, I live alone and live alone, although I do have a Significant Other, who generally blames the problems between us to diabetes. I do have a close friend who is also diabetic, but lives nearly 250 miles away. If I don't take care of things myself, it doesn't get done, and if I am not motivated or inspired, nothing good happens to me. I am my own support system, and have learned to live that way.

Having said all of that, I am grateful beyond words for this website and all the posters in this forum. It seems as if every day when I check the website, I learn something, I am able to comment on a topic, or I am inspired by what someone said. thanks, all of you! :)

Brian, it sounds like you're doing just fine. If you're handling everything by yourself, then rather than pay someone back, pay it forward... through channels like this site. There are plenty of people who get their encouragement online rather than from their families.

Mt nephew Tom is my best support system. Even though he lives 1 1/2 hours away he comes. He comes every weekend. My cousin Russm85,kives with me and we support each other. Russ in bad shape this morning. Tom is on his way. Then my friends here support me every day as I do them. By the way,Russ is not diabetic. Heart and other problems. Thank God he sees the doctor this morning.I do not drive. Tom will. Sunday,at church,the end of the sermon....Love and Help one another no matter who it is. Reed,the Seagator

I flunked Typing 101 and at age 84 I do not plan to take lessons so excuse my errors.

We are new at this. We had a bad episode a could weeks back. To me two people to tell me that his overreaction had more to do than with how much test strips cost. still not sure what that is and he isn't the type to be that direct if I asked him. But it still makes me ponder. We may be a reminder of their own mortality, their own potential to get chronical sick.

Nancy

My support system is my husband, Jim. We were married 33 years when I was dx'ed with T-1 D. We were empty nesters by that time. Both of our kids live out of state. He took the D, education classes when I was dx'ed right along with me. He can tell that I have a LOW before I can, and gets me to take something to raise my BS. I don't know what I would do without him. He also helps me a great deal with other medical conditions that I have. I support him by not being grumpy when I feel like cr*p from a high BS. I can't control the grumpiness when I have low, actually it is more than grumpiness, it is zoneing out.
I also encourage him to spend time with his "man" friends in a non-D environment. We basically support each other to live healthy.

I have found the best way to support my support system, is to make sure I feed her (Honest Sharon I'm joking).

He does support me in a lot of ways, mostly being understanding with me and thanking me for what I do for him. Greatful he feeds me by making enough money that we can eat after taxes, utility bills, and all. Even takes me out to dinner sometimes to my favorite restaurant, Hooters. I support him, and he supported me with going through the crazies of menopause. Love you Jonathan! He has always says he knows I love him because I save his butt when he has had serious low blood sugars even though he has some life insurance. I think he is worth it.

Having a wife whose favorite restaurant is Hooters is reason enough for him to feel blessed! :)
[Ok, maybe blessed is not the right word to use in the same sentence as Hooters]

@Scott E.....I don't know, but I think "blessed" is the very word I was looking for when I read her comment:) I'm laughing! I also chuckle when I read her screen name.

Kickatie - thanks for your kind words.
To follow-up, The church council didn't even blink in approving that initiative. I will have my first meeting on March 1st - and I know there are at least 3 more folks who will be there - right off the council table!!!

Like Scott E said, Brian - pay it forward - we owe it both to ourselves and others!!

See, there you go!! You are doing a great service and the community is going to benefit. You should be proud of yourself and fight the good fight!

This community is your support system! Sometimes you have a chosen family, here it is!

My support system is more like "just tell me what to do"...They are involved from a distance, like if I need money for medicine they will help. I think because I have been so independent my entire life no one looks at me like someone who needs help so they do not take the energy to pay attention. They try to understand but it doesnt stick, I always have to remind them of things like I eat skittles with a low not take insulin. Or even just reminded them I take insulin, they are the worst support system, lol...Its so bad that I give everyone one job, if I get sick or pass out just call 911....