50 years Diabetes Anniversary

Received my 50 year medal today from Lilly. Gee, the things I remember about being diagnosed:
My BG was like 700 something but I didn’t feel sick at all. I spent 7 days in the hospital, was bored so they sent me to an actual weaving class in occupational therapy. I missed my home and my dog.
Mom promised if I was well behaved ( I hid in the back seat of her car because I was so afraid of the hospital) and went to the hospital I would be allowed to take dance classes when I got out. We had just moved to a new house and a nice dance school was just one street over. I spent 25 years in dance. I guess that means I was a good patient…or something.

I got a degree in dance and theater, but the dance department really labeled diabetics as weak and I’m pretty sure that has been challenged and cleared up by now. I came home from college with a BFA and my future husband. He is dealing with cancer right now, so his support all these 50 years, is now a bit reversed. Still keepin’ on, by God’s grace.

10 Likes

Congratulations on your 50th year anniversary!!! Dance probably helped keep you healthier too! I am sorry to hear about your husband. Hugs and best wishes for a speedy and well recovery.

1 Like

Congrats on fighting the good fight for 50 years! I know it’s not easy and there are many bumps along the way. I think your passion for dance provided you with important physical and emotional sustenance over these years. I wish you and your husband the best as you deal with his cancer.

2 Likes

No Way!!! Will you post a picture of the medal? I’ve never seen one. I wanna see. What are you gonna do with it? Are you gonna wear it around? You should wear it to the grocery store. Tell people you won it for being a world champion diabetic.

Thinking of your husband. Hoping he feels ok.

2 Likes

Boy I ate really really bad dorm food but I walked everywhere at college so I guess that helped!

2 Likes

Thank you so much

Can I do that here? I don’t know how??!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is Lilly medal and also one from Joslin. I got both a few years ago. I think they both give certificates for earlier anniversaries.

Article about Joslin.

2 Likes

Congratulations, I am a type 2 ,29 years. I feel blessed to be doing well. I am so sorry your husband is ill. May you have a happy future together. Love is special. Nancy50

1 Like

Congrats on 50yrs @Laura_S !!!

God is good… all of the time.

Will be praying for your husband’s recovery!

1 Like

Congratulations! It is a huge milestone! Most of us back than we’re told we would never make it this long. It sounds like you have a great support team and you and your husband will get through this new curve you have been thrown.
My husband and I had the same situation. He has been there for me for almost 30 years and I have been there for him with his cancer scare. Thankfully we are both doing well and I pray the same for the both of you! God bless and congratulations on your huge accomplishment!

1 Like

Oh, did not know that!!

1 Like

It sure is! Thank you

Bless you! We’re dealing with lymphoma and he just had to start chemo pills. Praying all the way.

Blessings to you two .

You have reached an important milestone and we’re all proud of you! Your early experiences of being diagnosed reminded me of my experiences…1 week in the hospital; could only test your blood in a lab; was told that I would not live that long and most likely lose a foot or a leg; used glass syringes; diet soda was a specialty item and only available in a drug store; had trouble getting accepted playing sports because diabetics were considered handicapped by other kids; employers could choose not to hire diabetics. I’ve met many long term diabetics with those same experiences. In a sense, we end up living longer than some folks with no apparent medical issues because we go to the doctor regularly and are monitored more carefully. So display that medal proudly!!

3 Likes

Wonderful post. Thank you!

:partying_face: Congratulations @Laura_S :partying_face:

50 years of T1D is a triumph for anyone!

The road is long and winding … May The lord watch over your husband as he battles his cancer :pray:

2 Likes

Bless you, thank you so much. Dealing with Non Hodgkins that has spread a bit. So thankful for prayer power!

3 Likes

It truly is commendable what you’ve accomplished for 50 years, but I have to ask, "How does Eli Lilly know your name & address? " Did you contact them or did they contact you? I don’t understand how a drug company knows you had a specific disease for 50 years.

1 Like