9 Things Most People Don't Know About Diabetes

I thought this was a well written article about those pesky myths out there that we all deal with in our Diabetes journey. It’s a nice resource.

Diabetes is one of the most widely misunderstood conditions around, which is surprising considering how widespread it is. Here are nine of the most common myths and misconceptions, and the truth behind each one.

1. Type 1 diabetes isn’t caused by eating sugar…

There are two main types of diabetes, helpfully called type 1 and type 2. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease.

Click here to read more.

1 Like

One of the better ones of this kind I’ve seen. They manage to distinguish T1 as “not a lifestyle disease” while also pointing out it’s not true of other forms either. I liked this bit particularly:

There is a massive number of a factors that can affect blood glucose levels. The weather. Stress. Sex. Pollution. Alcohol. Sleep. Exercise. Flying. Illness. Menstruation. Pregnancy. Food. Steroids. Anti-psychotic medications. Dehydration. Pain. All of these things that can affect your blood glucose levels. It’s far more complicated than simply eating the right food. Diabetes is like walking a tightrope with lots of people throwing things at you and wobbling the rope.

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

O M G

That page, while fine by itself, contains an ad that leads to THIS:

http://securegg1.redirectyourcarbs.com/carb-redirect-method/?SID=ttgdpyic5

Among an abundance of superb advice, he recommends . . . wait for it . . . CINNAMON!

1 Like

Oh fertheluva… “Against stupidity, even the gods themselves strive in vain.” Sigh.

On edit: make that “Against contextual ad algorithms”

1 Like

Ain’t it the truth . . .

I apologize. If I would have seen the ad, I might not have promoted the article. It’s a shame because I really enjoyed it.

Sarah

It is a good article. Just too bad it’s hung about with the other stuff.

1 Like

just looking at it, it’s hard for me to tell who’s behind it.

Having worked as a developer, I know that your control over what Google Ads places on your page is very limited. I worked on a site for teens that for whatever reason kept having NSFW material turn up in the ad stream. We were eventually able to get it blocked but it took a while. Stuff like this is harder to get rid of because there’s nothing in the algorithms to tag things as “scientifically unproven” or otherwise indicate that you don’t want b.s. disseminated on your site even if the b.s. in question is related to your content.

1 Like