A Look Back In Time

Yesterday my daughter Rahab found one of my old journals. It was the one that I started after I was told that I had diabetes. At this time I was in the 3rd grade. As we read through it we both got some laughs from it. I also finally saw why my husband and I was having running matches with Ray. I thought I would share some of my entries.

June 9, 1990

Yesterday and today mom and dad caught me. I hate the shots. I have to remember to get up before them so I can hide from them so they don't give me anymore shots. I could not even play outside with my friends like I wanted to today. I had to keep stopping to check my blood. I don't want diabetes. I need to find out who I can give it to.

June 10, 1990

I got up before mom and she could not find me for almost 2 hours. Yes! I did it. But I still had to get my shots and check my blood. I thought mom would have forgot about them after 2 hours. I know I did and that is when she got me. I will have to try again tomorrow.

June 11, 1990

Instead of hiding today I decided to run. And run I did. I ran all over the house. I ran until I could not run anymore. I did not know where mom was but she knew where I was. I was sitting out in the open in the living room. Mom came out of the closet so fast. Before I knew it she had me on the floor. I could not move. She checked my blood and then with one hand filled the syringe and gave me a shot. I could not believe it. I have to think this out before I go to sleep tonight. Summer is here and I don't want to miss out on all the summer fun.

June 12, 1990

Today I had a low blood sugar. OMG. It stopped me in my tracks! I hate you diabetes. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I really, really hate YOU!

June 13, 1990

I had a low blood sugar tonight. When mom checked on me when I was sleep she woke me up and told me eat this ice cream, you are low. I told her I would eat it in the morning.I want to go back to sleep. Mom kept telling me to eat it and I was telling her no. Dad got up and he said "Don't have me come in there." He came in anyway. He told me do what your mom said and eat the damn ice cream.

Every night I would go to bed trying to think of ways to get out of checking my blood and taking my shots. But I never was able to get out of them.

Oh, KittieC, how funny. I used to try to hide the really nasty tasting cough medicine when I was a kid. I nearly got away with it once. She jumped out of the closet and got you down? I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that.

Pete I used to hide the cough medicine too. One time I put in the sugar container. Mom could not find it for weeks. She did. It was like looking at a lion going after its meal. After it was done I was just sitting there on the floor with my mouth open thinking to myself I know this did not just happen.

Kit this was just the right amount of funny. Were all your entries like this?

Danny, it has not worked out yet. I still have it 20 years later. I was 9. It was nice and funny to read my old writings. Thanks for reading.

Love it… So very funny. lol Thanks for sharing this. I really needed a smile.

Missy: Some of them are.We just read one that had me in tears.

The Diabetic Welfare Queen: Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I have more that I can share. If you need another smile.

I wish my daughter had kept a journal so I knew how she felt about her diagnosis at age 6. I was 19 when I was diagnosed and I could have probably benefited from a journal as well. Thanks for sharing.

More please.

Useddys thanks for reading and commenting. I know for me now writing in my journal helps especially when my diabetes is giving me a hard day. My daughter has a journal and she tells me that writing in it helps her to explain how she feels.

Pete more is to come. Promise.

Awwww How your mama loves you! And your dad “don’t make me come in there” then he did anyway lol what loving parents you have! Bet you hated it! Will be interested in more foe sure

Knorris I did hate it then. But looking back on it now I love them for it. There is more to read here.