A1C and vaccine

Reports show everyone reacts differently. I am a long-time T1D. Have had both Moderna shots. No changes to BG levels for me. Also no adverse reactions at all, other than sore arm both times. My wife’s 2nd Moderna left her with a severe headache starting 8 hours later and that lasted a day. Each person is different.

Years ago my doctor gave me a large dose of cortisone (joint problem) and my BG levels went way high for several days, just totally out of control. So your question is a good one. In my case, at least, the Moderna vaccine had no impact on my BG levels.

I recently read that women have worse side effects than men. Certainly true at my house.

How are you doing after the second Moderna shot? Give me some good news to look forward to!!!

Well C, if I wasn’t a diabetic, I would say that it went fine. I had the shot at 9:30 in the morning and did well for 12 hrs. I was tired and my arm hurt, so I took it pretty easy. No big deal.

At 9:30 at night my arm was really hurting which is to be expected, so no surprise there. Went to bed and woke up a few hrs later with a 177 glucose level, gave a shot. Then, because once again my CGM hasn’t been accurate, I dragged myself to the bathroom and did a finger stick and found out my glucose was really 144. From there on it went downhill. I got very little sleep, and was hot and exhausted. I had given too much insulin, and later I ate too many glucose tabs since I wasn’t at my best.

Got up at 5:30 this morning and my levels started rising to 200, and I am almost never that high. I was lethargic and didn’t really care, but gave a couple of shots and now I am hanging in at about 92. My husband doesn’t feel great, but slept well and is having a pretty normal day. Oh, we both had headaches when we woke up.

Like I said, if not a diabetic I would have done much better. Also if my CGM worked correctly, I wouldn’t have been up half of the night. I have had to call Dexcom 3 times in the past week. They are sending new sensors. When it works I absolutely love my CGM, but this is frustrating!

Best of luck to you. I really hope you have an easier time with your 2nd vaccine

I remember as a child one of the favorite activities of retired gentlemen was to build ships in a bottle and I was fascinated by their work. Not to stray off subject too far but when you hit me with the “if” I wasn’t diabetic I got a flashback from one of these old geezers who loved Paris and he told me “if” Paris was only a little smaller and “if” the bottle was a little bigger, I would love nothing more than to put Paris in the bottle and display it on my mantelpiece. Funny how little events like that can stick in your mind for 60+ years.

It sounds like a couple of days of misery and unhappiness with keeping BG flatlined, but at least I have not heard of the second Moderna killing a bunch of people. Take care and wish you great health and ease of mind to settle in shortly.

1 Like

I hope you can figure out the dexcom issue. 9 out of 10 sensors are spot on for me.
I feel fine accepting the data, I allow it to make insulin adjustments.
There must be some way to get better results than you get.
I would start my trying different sites.
I could never get the original dexcom to work in my abdomen. I would do sit ups and it would go crazy. It would come out.
I finally started using Medtronic sensors in my arm, which was pretty good.
When I started back on g6 the back of my arms work really well most of the time.
I know a guy who wears his on his chest like high on his pectoral and he has good results.I’ve never tried it because mine work on my arm.
I’ve also seen people use their lower arms, half way between wrist and elbow.
Could be worth a try

It worked on my upper thigh for the full 10 days. I would rather wear it on my stomach though. I am a side sleeper, so arms don’t work.

I am also a side sleeper. I generally put the sensor on the back side of my arms so the sensor isn’t pressed between me and the mattress.

I’m probably not as thin as you, so not sure if that’ll work as well.

Just thought I’d mention it because the arms are the best location for me- both for accuracy and for not jostling the site.

2 Likes

I just read that one vaccine is the recommendation for those who have had Covid-19.

My CGM was off 30 points this morning and quit for a period of time yesterday. I think that I might be able to use the front or inner arm. ( I was trying l figure it out last night in bed)

I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble with this! I hope changing locations helps.

It sounds like the upper thigh was a winner if the arms don’t pan out as hoped.

1 Like

This is helpful and I’m reading all the replies. I am just recently able to get the shots and will do so soon. But ever since diagnosis, when I tested with everything I ate, I felt like the very air I breathed would raise my numbers. Obviously, I learned that wasn’t true. But I am still pretty sensitive to odd things introduced into my system. Ah well—having the damn virus would be a “very odd” thing introduced into my system, so I fully intend to do what needs doing to avoid it!..Good luck everyone!..Judith in Portland

1 Like

My thought, that this may turn into a seasonal vaccine like a flu shot as it will not go fully away. Nancy50

1 Like

I doubt lows would be an issue it would go up and we would have a little insulin resistance for a few days. I really think it a case by case thing. Some people will have a reaction others sail through. I had Covid and symptom are similar to the symptoms of the second shot.

I got my first Pfizer shot on Wednesday afternoon. I had a sore arm, some lethargy and a persistent headache for about 2 days. My blood sugars went a bit crazy (high) for about two days as well, but it seems to be leveling out. (I just switched to a new pump 2 weeks ago so I’m still working out the settings - perhaps it was poor timing for that…)

I get my second shot on the 31st. I’m a bit nervous about it (especially the possibility of prolonged blood sugar irregularities) but I have no doubt that it’s worth it.