Abbott freestyle Libre distributors under Medicare

Does anyone find them very great or substandard by now? I was able to get 30 days of senors one, but 90 days sensors from another. Also, not sure internal records kept on doctor/nurse replies to them. Also, some slow to answer phone. It seems for now medicare only pays this if you use distributors, not local drug stores in city.

Has been excellent - not one problem since medicare approved the libre

a 90 day re-order is usually less then a 90 second phone call

i use wellstart medical. 90 day orders. shipped 7 sensors w first order and got simpatch and skin tac w the order. first reorder took 2 mins. night and day from my last supplier

What is wellstart? I see 8 or 10 regional freestyle providers listed as ok to supply Medicare freestyle supplies, but well start does not appear listed? Are they new as a regional approved supplier? Jim
I used Edgepark, lost my records. I tried CCS regional they seldom answer phone. Edwards was suggested.
Jim

they are a somewhat new company from what i could find. here is their number 800-978-7599 if you’re interested. the 90 day supply is huge and they told me i get to reorder around day 80 something so always have ample supply. i was going month to month with only 1 sensor on my arm worrying about what will happen if it fails, falls off, etc. also shipments were always delayed, and i was finger pricking more than i was using the libre

1 Like

So you were testing BG in finger as your supply source was not working to keep you in sensors? I think Medicare insurance only paid for freestyle near 2 years, and for only a portion of type 2 diabetics. Tx. I might check with wellstart, several let me down.

Here is info on medicare coverage. Mentions may be available from some pharmacies, and lists some dme providers.

yes often times I would be out of sensors for several weeks and no choice but to use my test strips. it just was always an excuse with them and only providing two sensors a month was a pain. one month one of the sensors just didnt work and the other one i made it 10 days so i was basically testing my blood all of the other days of the month. they also never shipped on time so i would have a lapse at the end/beginning of every month. so much easier now. 7 sensors with my first order. just got my second order with 6.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 1995. I began long term insulin treatment in 2010, short term insulin in 2013, and started using Trulicy in 2018. I have worked very hard to lower my a1c. My last three readings were 6.5, 6.7 and 7.0 on 4/10 but suddenly it has jumped back up to 7.6. This last reading has been since the MedMD in my doctors office switched me to the FreeStyle Libre system. When I first started using FSL 14-day system, the reading were all over the place, sometimes off by as much as 50 points. I was advised to discontinue fiber sticks and just use the FSL numbers. After reading the post on here, I feel I have been relying on numbers indicating that my a1c was about 6.6, in error. Also, since being prescribed a drug called Mychophenolate that this drug causes me to have high reading two hours after taking the medication. Has anyone experiencing these type problem. Just order FSL test strips,hoping my data will help.

Is diet steady, consistent? FSL has allowed me to read BG 15/18 times a day, see time in target range, generally over 91% as type 2. A reading may be off 15%, but not often I suspect 50 points error in reading. Can recheck check with strips, if desired. The chart and individuals readings show times going high, you drink water, exercise, walk, treadmill, take small supplement shot, or pills that may help. Plan same low carb meal, like 2.5/3 carbs per meal, adequate protein, limited carb., Fiber foods. Diabetes is a complex system you watch and adjust the moving parts to fit a lifstyle, a diet, levels of work/ exercise. Recreation can be part sedentary, part active or exercise. Luck, jim

Well, in my 3’years use Libre, it’s only off 30/40 points few times, it’s closer to BG likely real reading about 90% I think. As type 2 I am in target range 85/90 % of time. I count carbs, try to eat 2.5/ 3.0 carb all meals.

My freestyle is perhaps 15% error. But most test strips likely similar error possible. If insulin is safe, not too warm, nor frozen, as either will damage it beyond accuracy, reliability. Measure carbs as a double check. 42 factors affect blood sugar level at a given time. On temporary basis, eat well known, safe meals to recover.

I have a Medicare Advantage plan. The insurance company made the decision of what DME supplier they allowed me to use. With one insurer, they used CCS, and they supplied me automatically with sensors. When I changed to a different Advantage insurer, they use a local DME. I have to instigate an order every 90 days.