Animas Ping or Cozmore

I was just wondering what all of you think about Cozmo going out of business? I imagine those who just got one are really upset that they did not let you know they had intentions of doing so.

Well, honestly, no - I don’t feel I have anything to be angry about. It’s a great pump (I’ve had it for 9 months now), Smiths will honor my warranty if the pump has any issues over the next 3 years, I can still order my supplies through DME distributors, and by the time my warranty is up in 2012, I will still have the same options for a new pump that everyone else has. Animas promises updates to their product line every year over the next 5 and will probably have their Dexcom-integrated device on the market (as will Omnipod), Minimed will likely have a new model on the market, Freestyle may have the Aviator out by then…who knows?

All their announcement really means for me is that we won’t see a “new” model pump from them and that they won’t be selling to any new customers. I am disappointed because I liked what they had to offer, but I don’t harbor any ill will or anything. Smiths Medical will still be in business and supplying hospitals with the many medical supplies they produce - they are just exiting from the pump business.

That is a great way to look at it. And very true, they are not selling any new pumps but if yours breaks do they send you another. Are they just making some to cover their warranties? Just curious.

I suppose so - either that or they have enough product on hand that is set aside exclusively for this. (It’s similar to what Freestyle did when they announced they wouldn’t produce any of their non-Lite (aka coded) meters anymore, but they’d have plenty on hand if Navigator users needed a back-up meter that takes coded strips.)

Smiths sent out letters to Cozmo users saying basically that we shouldn’t worry about not being able to get a replacement if we need one. They have a transitional website up that answers a lot of consumer questions, too. I haven’t called Smiths yet, but I spoke to a customer service rep with Edgepark (I get my Navigator sensors through them already) who was happy to let me know that they’ll have Cozmo supplies for me for as long as I need them. So all my fears were pretty quickly addressed.

That is so great. I bet you are so relieved, of course they should do all this it is the right and responsible thing to do. Lives depend on them and a lot of money put into the meter also. I am so happy a solution was set aside when this decision was made. No one was left going what do we do know?

I have some thoughts on a couple of your questions, but I do not have a Ping or a Cozmore. I have an Animas 1250. I have been on insulin pump therapy for 14 1/2 years, starting with a MiniMed pump in 1994. Since I am not a child and I don’t have either of those two pumps to compare, I’ll address the more generic questions.

I chose the Animas 1250 four years ago because I found the attached meter on the Cozmore to be bulky and in the way. I don’t know if they have changed that design since that time though. The best way to tell is to ask to meet with a sales rep and actually hold the pump in your hands.

As far as time on the market, Animas has been making pumps for longer than the Cozmore’s manufacturer, if I remember correctly, even if the Ping has been in production for less time.

The insulin reservoir size needed depends on your child’s insulin requirements. I am 48 (37 years w/ diabetes) and don’t use a full 200 unit cartridge in my Animas pump in the 3 days before it is time to change it again. When money is tight or I am super busy, I leave the set in longer, but you aren’t supposed to and I do get site infections sometimes when I do that. Ask your doctor what they think your son’s daily insulin requirement will be in the pump and multiple that by 3.5. That gives you the minimum number of units he’ll need on board, building in some additional for extra boluses if needed.

The upgrade feature with Animas is lower than the cost of buying a new pump when they come out, but my husband’s insurance company and my Medicare don’t pay anything towards the upgrade fee, so I’ve just waited out my 4 years.

Another thing to consider… Has the Cozmore added a built-in attached clip on their pump? They didn’t have it before which is the second reason I decided against the Cozmore 4 years ago. My MiniMed pumps always did before I switched brands and my Animas 1250 has an attached low-profile clip on the back so I can easily attach my pump to my waistband. With the Cozmore, they told me I would have to put it in a case with a clip and I didn’t want to do that. Why offer pumps in a variety of colors if you have to stick it in a case anyway? Plus the clips on the pump cases are big and clunky compared to the low-profile clip on the back of my Animas pump.

Good luck with your decision-making. I am starting the process again now as I can get a new one in December.

~Michelle~

(PS - I hadn’t read others comments or that you had made a decision when I typed my response. I’ll leave it anyway in case it can help someone else make a decision. When I was shopping for pumps 4 years ago, I couldn’t get a response from a Cozmore rep either, which was the third reason I didn’t buy it. The Animas rep came to my house in rural Western Washington and I actually got to see one before I chose it.)

Michelle, Cozmo left the diabetes market in March of this year, actually.

Hi … I have a question about the clip on the black pump…when u clip the pump ; does the infusion cable is on the downside / or upside?

I didnt like in the past when I tried the test pump in 2000 ; that the infusion cable is positioned on the lower down part… as I am a woman and am wearing tops / short shirts etc… when I clipped the pump on the trousers the cable was showing to much!

Please let me know your thoughts how to avoid this ugly look…
I am now planning to get my first own pump and am not sure which is the most estetical & decent +fashionable to wear pump

All pumps with clips have the infusion set tubing coming out of the top of the pump. There are other options than using the clips though. Many women prefer to wear the pump in their pockets, inside their bra, or in a hanging pouch clipped to their belt. I wore mine for the first 8 years on my waistline, but under my shirt. Tucking in a shirt was always too troublesome with the tubing for my taste.