Another Touched By Diabetes

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, I kept a keen eye on my mother, a "juvenile diabetic", whose control was legendarily erratic. There was barely a week that went by when I wasn't at Mom's side, forcing sugar-laced orange juice down her throat. When she wasn't low, she was high. Very high. That was back in the day when meters were the stuff of fantasy, and one peed on a stick to check levels. From the time I could count, I could detect Mom's "lows" from across a crowded room.

Diabetes continued rearing is head: in the late 1970's, my beloved cousin Colette was diagnosed T-1. As if she, already dealing with Downs Syndrome, didn't have enough on her plate. Technology was some better by then, but not by much.

In the late 80's, my amazing mother-in-law, Charlotte was found to have T-2 added to her long laundry list of dangerous conditions.

Flash forward to 2006, my mom has long since passed (1976 at age 38 of d-related complications), Colette and Charlotte are gone, and our youngest child is diagnosed with T-1 after a series of misdiagnoses.

It's easy to get flipped out about such things when you've time and again seen the havoc this condition can wreck.

Let's face it...this diabetes business is still a Big Time Major League Pain in the Butt. No doubt about it. It never freaking ends!

But it's also a different time and place. And there are treatment protocols that beat the pants off peeing on a stick.

There's reason to be hopeful (while simultaneously cursing off the greediness of a pharma industry gone wild).

I'm a T-4 diabetic - the daughter, cousin, daughter-in-law and mother of T-1's and a T-2. There's not an hour of any day when I'm not focused in some way on diabetes. I'd give anything to switch places so that the endless highs/lows/needles were mine and not theirs.

Until a cure, I'm here for support and friendship, to give and to receive, to learn and to share.

I'm so very grateful for this place, its people, and its promise!

I am glad that you are here too…I have had alot of family members and friends through out my life that were/are diabetics. My Mom was Type 1 as well, back in the early 1970’s…I remember well her struggles with this disease. She was one strong woman, and I learned alot from her…just do the best you can and enjoy everyday and everyone.

Welcome to our little site. It is wonderful to have a type 4 D with us. I am also the child of a type 1 who passed when she was 48 after 22 years. You will give us a great deal of help and support and your knowledge will eb most helpful to many of us.

rick phillips

My father was Type 2- diagnosed at 31 in 1953. Back then, all he had was urine test strips and some little small pill. He did not have weight problems, and guess what? He passed away on Jan. 16, 2010 at age 88. He had been on insulin for 2 years. He did not die from any diabetic complications. I am, of course, completely depressed, as I had to handle all aspects of the funeral, up to purchasing the plot and arranging the viewing room. Dad was a retired physician, and had been fortunate to have considerable wealth, which is now up to me to control for my mother. I was diagnosed as Type 2 2 years ago. I am currently on Metformin 500 twice a day, A1C 6.7, but I can’t get my AM count below 120 anymore. After eating, it is about the same, if now lower. What kind of effect does depression/stress have on this disease? Can someone help me with this?

I was an only child and grandchild on one side of my family but boy at the other side but what I didn’t know was that all Types of Diabetes was all over both sides! I took Type 1 at 10 and found out that my favorite cousin was also a Type 1! This was on my father’s side, then all the other Type 1’s and 2’s started coming at me from my mom’s side! My oldest daughter is a Type 1 too (she is now 21 with 3 children) She took it at 11. Yep it’s all over my family and I’m now 46 and really can’t remember life without it! I know you would want to lve just a day without it in someway but look at it this way…BOY ARE YOU READY TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILD!!! Look at all the changes that have been made just in the last 30 years!

I know what your mother went through I too was dxed in the 1950s. Those were perilous times to have Diabetes (the dark ages). I can only imagine what my mother went through when I was dxed. I can also only imagine how a loved one feels when they have loved ones with Diabetes. But what makes me happy is the technology I have lived to take advantage of…like insulin pumps, cgms, glucose monitors (boy I hated testing my pee), new types of insulin and information that helps me to be more proactive in managing my Diabetes.

Welcome!

I’m grateful every day for the advances in management. Unlike you all, I’m T1 with no others in my family. Always nice to be trend setter.

Looking forward to the day when there’s a big banner on TuD that says “Shut Down. Diabetes Cured. All Former Diabetics Go Home & Eat A Cupcake.” A girl can dream, right?

Indeed, Geri - that will be one splendiferous day, and I enthusiastically look forward to it! The advancements out there, and on the horizon, are awe-inspiring. I’m hoping to get my son hooked up with a CGM system this year.

Hugs and kisses to each and every one of you on this comment thread. You’re individually and collectively my heroes!!!