Any new news?

HI all, I am looking into pumps finally T1 since 2000. I am going towards the Omnipod since having tubes I would be worried I would get caught up in it.
I have noticed that the pods are smaller then they used to be. Just curious to how well they stick, what needle they use, is there many failures? etc....

Sarah
last A1C 6.0

Most people worry about the tubing before hand and nearly everyone says it's no big deal once they get their pump. I personally have heard a lot of problems with the Omnipod.

funny, I was just thinking that in 24 years pumping, I've never accidentally pulled mine out by gettting it caught in something (once I DID scratch around it, and it came out). Personally, I'd rather not have such a large piece of plastic glued to my sensitive skin. however, there are loads of afficiandos here, and lots of videos, here's one
http://www.tudiabetes.org/video/583967:Video:155226

While I can’t say I am the most experienced at all thing pump related, I can say I love it! I have only been on the pump for less than a week and chose the Ping. I really didn’t like the idea of such a large chunk of plastic stuck to me, although I like the tubeless idea. I did a fair amount of research and saw several people have had problems with the pods. I just felt that maybe it wasn’t for me, as reliability is important to me. I can say that I have caught my tube on a doorknob already it didn’t pull out my site or anything just felt a tug and was like oops! Lol. I keep it tucked in most of the time, but was heading to bed and just had the pump on the pocket of my basketball shorts with the tube out. Anyway I’d say do some reasearh and sit down and make a list of pros and cons for each pump you are considering and figure out what options are important to you. At the end of the day they all do the same thing, and it’s just a matter of deciding what you want! Good luck!

Hey dishers, I have been on the OmniPod for over a year now after 25 years of MDI. I didn't want tubing either. I just didn't like the idea of being attached to tubing and having to arrange it under my clothes and sleep with the pump. I know everybody who uses a tubed pump says you get used to it, but my response to that is "why should I have to get used to it?".

I find that I forget where I have placed the pod, don't feel it when I have it on, don't see it through my clothing. I love the automated insertion - you never actually see a needle. You load the pod with insulin, stick it on with the adhesive and press a button on the PDM. Then you will hear 3 clicks...click, click, click... and a *pop* sound which feels like a rubber band pops you, then you're done and good to go. No insertion sets with needles.

At times, I have even started a new pod at work in my office never even having to close my office door.. that's how unobtrusive the start up process for a new pod is. Wearing a pod helps me fly incognito and people can't tell by looking at me that I have diabetes because I carry the PDM in my purse - it also serves as my meter.

I will say that there is a learning curve. It took me a while to find the sites on my body where the absorption worked best for me - but that's true of tubed pumps and my Dexcom cgm too.

When people talk of *problems* with pods, all I can say is that my personal experience with the pods has been 2 failed pods in 13 months of podding. Both of the pods that failed during the priming process before they were attached to my body - I called and they were replaced with no charge.

I have also found Customer Service to be excellent - available 24/7 and calls have been answered immediately without having to wait on the line - they have listened to me during my issues with site absorption and made really good suggestions.

It makes me chuckle when people who wear tubed pumps talk about not wanting a piece of plastic stuck to them but they have tubing hidden under their clothing... different strokes for different folks. :) We each have to find what we can live with.