Any one ever use eversense

I saw this at a JDA event last year and it looked awesome. Totally under the skin. Lasts 90 days but 6 months in Europe which is just the usual thing with the rules in each country.
Still ha anyone used it and can it pair wit any pumps or is anyone looping with this.
I mean 3 months of no tape no transmitter no worries in shower. If I could get this to talk to a pump it would be no brainer

I’ve been pretty much attacking anyone for extra details whenever I hear someone trying it. I’m very interested, too. I’m addicted to the D-tech, and what’s in the pipeline. Unfortunately, it’s been difficult to get user experience information.

I’ve heard some horror stories about the extraction process. I assume it’s mostly due to inexperience on the doctors’ part. Someone here did have an excellent experience, but wasn’t willing to type out details on his mobile. So I don’t know anything more than “excellent”.

Heres details.

@john58 has used it.

1 Like

Yes I tried it for 6 months in 2019. It was great for me overall but, like all D tech, there are pros and cons to it. The feature I liked best is receiving alerts when my phone is turned off or out of range (the transmitter buzzes on your arm for alerts). I found that to be very handy and at times essential. The insertion and extraction did not bother me but did leave a scar.

I tried it under a discount program for new users which I understand has been discontinued. It is very expensive otherwise, and insertion/extraction requires a dr appt at additional cost. Some insurers cover Eversense but not all…seeing if you have coverage is the best place to start.

1 Like

I recall seeing on SeekingAlpha that Senseonics was potentially looking for a buyer. They did get a cash infusion earlier this year and then restated their 2020 outlook partly due to Covid

Like john58, I also tried it because of their discount program and because there was about a 6 month period when the 14 day libre sensor would not work with miaomiao1 or blucon, which for me was unacceptable… I was able to have it work with xdrip and nightscout, although this process took about a week to fine tune and I had to use a modified esel app, and modified eversense app from bernardro… for me it was a lot more accurate and a lot quicker to recognize glucose changes…maybe a 10 min lag instead of the Dexcom 30 minute lag, or libre 45 minute lag. The insertion was actually rather easy, but the removal can be tricky especially for inexperienced doctors and I don’t think the senseonics reps are allowed to help much…the reps seemed to make comments(similar to a back seat driver), but that was all…no hands on help…insurance seemed to be a durable medical option only, and even then, a mess… Cigna (my works’ current insurance company) finally approved the surgeries, however, I’m still not sure about the sensors… it did seem like 3 months was way too short, and probably wont be popular until the 1 year is approved, or until they switch the fluorescent sensor to a led…my $2500 deduction probably would be met after 2 sensors, (about $950 per sensor), but I currently pay about $240 for a year of libre sensors, so for me, it financially does not make sense…perfect for surfers, divers, people allergic to the adhesives, etc…I’m happy to answer any other questions you have

Thanks. That’s awesome information. I’m thinking I could prob remove my own.
Ive removed fish hooks from my hands. I’ve removed sutures. How hard can it be.
I’m going to look into the Cost of my insurance.
I’m a swimmer and my sets and sensors never last. Even w over tape. But then again if it won’t work w my pump it’s hardly worth it.
I was looking at that build your own pump thing and loop. on YouTube. It’s kinda of scary and also exciting.

Whoa. It’s really different. Sutures and fish hooks are shallow punctures. The sensor is surgically implanted and your tissues have three months or more to heal over it. Think more civil war surgery with no anesthetic than removing sutures.

I’m up for the challenge. I think Rambo stitched up his own gashes. Or was that some other fictional character. U just feel for it. Cut a tiny cut at the top and pop it out. And just sayin I’ve had some horrible fish hook experiences as a kid and had to pop it through the skin cut with wire cutters and extract.
Diabetes has made me more brazen to cut myself or stick myself when necessary. I have been yelled at by doctors In The past for removing sutures though.
If I get one, I’ll see how complicated the install is before I make up my mind. But why can’t we just leave it in.

You actually can leave it in, however, the sensor probably lasts years, and most drs seem to want to keep it in the same place…might interfere… At least while placing the transmitter… the problem with the removal is your body will grow around it and it seems difficult for the drs with 2 hands…a one handed removal sounds ill advised…tools are another issue…they almost need clamps with a sharp scalpel at the tip…they seem to cut with the scalpel, try to grab the sensor, then cut a little more and keep the sensor with clamps, always wishing for a 3rd arm. If i were senseonics, I"d try to invent a biodegradable jacket around the sensor that is made of the same material that you could leave in…as far as the pump and looping goes…as long as your looping software can use xdrip or nightscout, you should be fine…might be a little tricky at 1st.

2 Likes

Not to be too opinionated, but there is no way anybody should try removing an Eversense sensor themselves. For one thing, the best place for it is towards the backside of your upper arm, are you going to look in a mirror while you carve a gash in your arm? It’s not straightforward, the scar tissue grows around the sensor and locks it in. If you get the first sensor inserted and then removed by a doctor you will understand why it would be almost impossible to do yourself.

1 Like

I agree,John. I would not risk the potential for infection. Nancy50

1 Like