Ascencia Eversense

I just received an email from Ascensia (Contour) regarding the Eversense CGM system; I imagine many of you have also gotten this. This is a CGM that is surgically implanted (meaning you can’t do it yourself :slight_smile: ) that lasts “up to” 90 days, rather than Dexcom’s 10 days. It claims over 200 million of us have insurance that will cover it, so I guess it’s been approved by whoever approves that sort of thing.

I have to admit I haven’t heard of this before, even though it was in the news starting at least two years ago :frowning: . The last it was mentioned on this forum (AFAICT) was over a year ago. So…has anyone heard anything recently? 90 days sounds good, though not great, but “surgically implanted” four times a year does not sound so great. The rechargeable transmitter would be nice.

For us oldsters…uh, that is, more experienced users, it’s nice that it’s now covered by Medicare.

The absolute main thing I would ask: does it talk to my Tandem? or other pump? That’s sufficiently important to me that I probably wouldn’t even consider the Eversense until it did. There’s nothing in the downloadable manual, or in the FAQ, or anywhere in Support, that I could find, so I’m sure it doesn’t now/yet. I wonder if the two companies are negotiating this.

Anyone else know anything I don’t? (wouldn’t be hard :slight_smile: ) I may even submit a request for info later today, much as I hate doing things like that; if so, I’ll let you know if I find out anything interesting.

–Keith

1 Like

I looked at this a couple of years ago. I saw it at one of those diabetes tech fairs. The sensor is implanted with not much trouble.
The a transmitter is stuck to your skin with double sided tape, so it still feels similar to the dexcom when you wear it. I wore a dummy one to get a feel.

The limitations to it are
1 you need to calibrate every 12 hours.
2 no pumps or pods are accepting its data for looping

I hope this will change at some point. If I could use it with my Tandem, I would get one.

You can peel off the transmitter, go swimming and stick it back on. With no loss of data.

It lasts for90 days here in the USA, but is turned off by software after that. In Europe, they allow it be run for 120 days.

I only met one person who uses one and he was very happy with it except for the calibration issue. I don’t know anything about accuracy. He uses inhaled insulin so he didn’t care about the looping aspect.

I watched the Tandem pipeline presentation, and they mentioned expanding to accept the Libre, the didn’t mention Eversense.

There is something there with this device, it’s just not there yet in my opinion

1 Like

Eversense CGM now has a stick on rechargeable Bluetooth transmitter. As far as I know it does not work with any insulin pump at this time. My endo told me they are working to extend the life of the insert from 90 to 180 days.

I followed this thing from when it was just a prototype. Considering that we have to see the docs regularly, changing out shouldn’t be to onerous. Hopefully they apply a topical numbing solution for removal and replacement.

My feelings exactly, Timothy.

I just looked at the website, it has the new XL version for 180 days advertised there so that’s a big win.
I forgot to mention that the transmitter vibrates when low or high. Something dex and Medtronic and libre can’t do.
Here is a link to a video of insertion if you are considering it
(Healthcare Provider Resource Page - Eversense CGM System)

@John58 has tried the Eversense, and posted here.

1 Like

I’m echoing the “great potential, but not there yet” sentiment.

The big limitation for me is the doctor component. I’m extremely rural. I’m fortunate enough to have a doctor happy to manage my prescriptions so long as I can self-manage well, but is not very experienced with diabetes in general. She only handles a few Type 2s besides my Type 1 self. Anyone requiring more extensive care has to drive 5.5 hours to the Front Range. Even if she got the training to do Eversense, I would be her only patient, so she wouldn’t have much experience. It’s the lack of experience that concerns me with this system. The insertion is easy, it’s the extraction process I’ve heard horror stories about. Terrible, painful fishing expeditions which leave terrible scarring. I imagine that gets better with experience, but I’ll never have that benefit.

I don’t think I could ever revert to system that requires constant fingersticks after using Dexcom, either.

Pack it up in an auto-inserter, make it biodegradable or other easy extraction, and make it accurate without mandatory fingersticks (I’m happy to calibrate at will) and I’d be all over it. Right now, it just isn’t worth the extra trouble as I don’t mind my Dexcom at all. The day lifespan isn’t bothersome in the least to me, since it’s a procedure I can easily do myself.

Tandem only works with Dexcom right now, because it’s the only non-Medtronic system FDA rated to control an AID algorithm, but they’re willing to work with others as they become available. They have an agreement with Abbott as soon as they bring an appropriate device to market, as the Libre 2 is contraindicated for AID systems.

Eversense is part of the dual-hormone system BetaBionics is developing, the iLet. Oddly enough, though, they actually require wearing TWO CGM systems simultaneously, Eversense being one of them. At least that’s what they’ve been doing in their trials. I can’t imagine wearing 2 CGMs being practical in real life. I can’t even get my insurance to cover ONE CGM.

2 Likes

Yes I tried the 90 day Eversense back in 2019 when the company had a discount program for new users. I ended up using two sensors for the full 90 days each and then switched back to Dexcom. For a while, I wore both the Eversense and the Dexcom G5 and found the Eversense was about the same accuracy as Dexcom, maybe a little more accurate.

The Eversense has a unique advantage over other CGMs that was a game changer for me…the transmitter (taped to your arm) vibrates in sort of a Morse code like pattern to alert you even if you are not carrying your phone. I enjoyed that feature because I spend a lot of time with my phone either turned off or out of reach. The phone app was similar to all the others, except for the twice daily calibration requirement.

There are plusses and minusses with the implantable sensor and it probably is not for everyone. Anybody considering Eversense should definitely read up on lots of reviews etc. before deciding. If they can get the 180 day sensor approved I will probably try it again.

Only problem I had with it was when I dislodged a sensor playing ice hockey a few days after it was inserted in my arm, which was a hassle. Got infected, had to get it removed, antibiotics for 2 weeks etc. but no long lasting problems once the replacement sensor went in. Also should point out that each sensor insertion/removal leaves a scar about half the size of a raisin on your upper arm. Does not bother me but might be a fatal flaw for some people.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m aware that things installed under the skin can migrate unless anchored somehow. For me, there’s not enough advantages to outweigh the disadvantages. You still have to keep a transmitter assembly (a little larger than an Omnipod) stuck to your skin and change that adhesive every 24 hours.

I’ve been wearing Dexcom sensors almost continuously since 2009. It’s a routine and relatively painless experience. If it hurts, I just remove it and find a new location. But that is a rare occurrence.

I prefer to see my doctors fewer times per year, if possible. I’d much rather be able to satisfy all my diabetes upkeep routines myself. The every 10-day burden of placing/removing a CGM sensor is not onerous to me.

I see Eversense as a solution for a small subset of people.

3 Likes

I know a person who has used it several times and loves it. His issue is cost, as his insurance is not covering it. Otherwise he might still be using it.

2 Likes

I looked into the Eversense a few years ago and talked about it with my endocrinologist. He had a few patients using it but his biggest concern was that each time he went to retrieve the spent sensor it took a lot longer to locate it and remove it than he expected. In 2 cases he really had to ‘dig’ for it and that became very problematic for the patients. He was frustrated by what he felt was a limitation - removing the sensor. At that time it was not approved for Medicare and I was just starting Medicare so that stopped any further consideration, but if they get FDA approval for the 180 day sensor - and that is already in use in Europe - and it is approved by Medicare, I may give it a try. I asked one question of the Eversense representativve that I still do not have an answer for - what happens with the implanted device if you need to have an MRI? I never did hear back from her with the response and I am still interested in knowing that.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

thank you!!

A press release today states that 180 day Eversense sensor will be available starting Q2 2022:

" * Substantive review with the FDA for the PMA supplement for the next generation Eversense 180-day CGM system is nearing completion, all queries raised have been answered and a decision regarding approval is expected in the coming weeks

• Designing plans with Ascensia Diabetes Care for a smooth transition to the 180-day system in the U.S., pending FDA approval, including:
    • Marketing campaigns to highlight the availability of system upgrade programs for patients and to increase overall patient awareness
    • Payor engagement regarding reimbursement and coverage transitions
      These plans are being designed with a goal of minimizing the impact to patients, providers and sales, taking into account the expected use of existing inventory in Q1 2022 and initiating transition to the new product in Q2 2022."
1 Like

“Based on our testing, we have demonstrated that it is safe for patients to leave the Eversense Sensor in place , even when they need to have an MRI,” said Tim Goodnow, President and CEO of Senseonics.Jan 30, 2019

very similar to john58, I tried it in 2019 around the time the libre was having some issues with xdrip before the miaomiao2, etc. with their senseonics 2 sensor promotion… seems like their goal is the 1 year, and i might switch over after that…there are(at least when i tried it) ways to make it work with other looping programs, but it wasn’t the easiest and seemed easier for Android… the body does grow around it and attach… similar to alien… and they always had a more difficult time removing than insertion, plus only certain doctors will even try the procedure, however, senseonic’s techs are always present (more like backseat drivers, as they are not licensed to help, etc), but overall, after figuring out how to use it with xdrip, it is my favorite cgm…always accurate, and whenever i eat, my dexcom is always stuck on low for a while, where the eversense always seemed quicker to give accurate readings.

1 Like

The Eversense is far more reliable than the Freestyle Libre. I had nothing but problems with the Libre the second year I used it. their sensors repeatedly failed. I believe the Ascencia Eversense just got FDA approval for the 180 day model. The transmitter is removable, which is a plus if you do sports. I practice Bjj, which makes wearing a CGM impossible. The Eversense is a solution to that problem for me. In the long run the Eversense makes much more sense financially and, in my case, allows me to continue with full contact sports.

2 Likes

The only drawback to it is that you still need to calibrate it twice a day and it needs to be installed by a doctor.

It also doesnt have fda clearance to be reliable enough to dose insulin. So looping with it isn’t possible.

I think it has a good promise if they can move the ball down the road a bit, it could be some real good competition for Dexcom

1 Like

“ The sensor requires two calibrations per day for the first 21 days of wear. After day 21, one fingerstick calibration is required each day (an improvement over the 90-day sensor which requires two calibrations per day for the entire 90 days).

Like the Freestyle Libre and Dexcom G6, it can be used to make decisions about treatment and insulin dosing.”

From this article: https://diatribe.org/180-day-implantable-cgm-eversense-e3-approved-fda

2 Likes

I’d love to get my hands on an Eversense CGM. Because of an unrelated illness, I’m underweight and it makes it so that good sites are hard to come by. This is a non-issue with Eversense, I’m told. But, the company has been a pain in the butt to work with! They don’t have a search function for finding trained providers, they don’t answer emails, chat takes ages, and when I finally got someone on the phone, they couldn’t just give me a list in my region. Nope, they said they’d contact me in 5 days with the list. Did they? Nope again. Gives me reservations about getting one. If they can’t even give me a list of people who can put it in, how can they troubleshoot or replace components? I’m still holding out hope, but it’s ridiculous.

1 Like