Any insight on the Eversense CGM?

I have a Dexcom5 and really like it, however, the cost - even with insurance - is escalating higher and higher. I will qualify for Medicare next June so that will help with cost, but in the meantime, my endocrinologist asked if I had ever considered Eversense. I talked with the rep, and I am intrigued. My insurance apparently covers it although I don’t know the details yet as I am waiting for a response from my insurance to Eversense. I understand it is not yet covered by Medicare but they have applied for coverage and it may possibly be approved by the time I qualify. My endo has written a prescription and I basically have about 2 weeks to make up my mind before I have to get more Dexcom sensors or move to Eversense. So, while I am waiting for financial responses and investigating a new phone since my age old Android is not compatible, I would be interested in hearing anyone’s experiences with this new type of technology. Thanks!

Hi @Kathryn41

Here are some user reviews you might consider…

Trying the Eversense implanted CGM - C/GM - FUDiabetes

And …

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I tried the Eversense for 90 days back in April-June of this year. A summary of my experience was:

• There are a lot of little details that are different than both Dexcom and Libre and I will not try to explain them all but the Senseonics Eversense web site does a good job of explaining some of these. If you are a long time user of other CGM’s, Eversense takes some getting used to as far as recharging the battery in the transmitter, retaping the transmitter (daily), calibrating (twice daily). I found that I used a lot more test strips while on the Eversense than I ever did with Dexcom, just because I was checking its accuracy, etc. I have no idea if everybody will like the Eversense as much as I did but those who don’t mind trying something new should give it a try.
  • In case you’re not aware, the sensor is inserted in your arm by your doctor. My regular endo was not certified/trained to do this by the company so she referred me to somebody else. The insertion was quick/painless and seems pretty straightforward. The sensor lasts 90 days and there is a “hard stop”, can not be extended as far as I know. They are trying to get a 180 day sensor to market, no idea when that will happen.
  • The BG readings were not very reliable/accurate for about 9-10 days after the insertion, probably because the sensor site was still healing. After those first 9-10 days, the accuracy/reliability was good enough for me. With my next sensor, I am going to let it heal in for about 2 weeks before I start it so I don’t waste those first 2 weeks of potential use. (I tried this once already but flunked the test by inadvertently screwing up the sensor).
  • The transmitter sends readings to your phone. There is no separate receiver. Using the app takes some getting used to but overall it seems fine. They recently updated the app…I have not tried the updated app yet. I’m pretty sure you can also use xdrip, but spike does not work with Eversense.
  • The best features (for me) are the ease of setting temporary alert levels and the way the transmitter buzzes on your arm when you get an alert. I do a lot of things that aren’t conducive to keeping my phone with me. Those arm alerts are what sold me on Eversense. I used them a lot.
  • The way I used the arm alerts is: I set a tighter target range before I play hockey, start working on some manual labor type chore, start a long drive, bike ride, hike, round of golf, etc., (or whatever requires me to put my phone away). This way I get buzzed on the arm, can take action to avoid a low or high and check my phone later when I have time. I caught a lot of highs/lows before they got out of range by doing a quick correction as soon as my arm buzzed. (This method of preventing highs/lows is not for everybody but works for me).
  • My second sensor (started in July) went haywire after about 2 weeks. The technical support people were adequate (not great like Dexcom sometimes is) and figured that I probably jostled that wounded arm before the sensor was fully set, somehow I dislodged the sensor. Senseonics is covering the cost of a replacement sensor and insertion, scheduled for late this month.

Anyway, I really like the Eversense, especially the features mentioned above. It worked great for me: The 3 months before I started it, my avg BG was 133/SD 41 (using Dexcom G5) and the 3 months on Eversense my avg BG was 118/SD 35. Time in range, etc all improved. I attribute that to using the arm alerts and catching impending highs/lows quicker.

2 Likes