Any reason I can’t just start Omnipod 5 without training?

I’m a long-time podder, now on Dash, in addition to a long-time Dexcom G6 user. I’ve transferred all of my settings from my Dash PDF to the OM5 PDF. I use my iPhone for my G6. Is there some key information in the training (I opted for virtual but still waiting for it to be scheduled) that I really need to get started? I don’t want to be foolhardy, but what else is there?

3 Likes

You joined TuD in 2008. You certainly know more about diabetes than the trainer.

If you read through the manual and stuff first, I am sure you will be fine to start. And there are enough people here using it who can help you.

I started the older OmniPod without training, and it was my first pump. I didn’t have any problems doing that.

3 Likes

I got my tandem pump in the mail and I entered the settings and started using it several days before I met the trainer.

My trainer told my doctor that I was all set up already and she said I shouldn’t do that. But I know what, I’ve been doing it a long time. There isn’t much difference between pumps.

Then I can spend time w the trainer to explain only what’s remarkably different.

3 Likes

@Jim2 its purely a liability thing. If you begin using the pump before a factory supervised training and you have a serious hypo or gasp the “ultimate” happens, then Insulet or Tandem or whomever does not want to be held liable. Once you are “factory trained” you are asked to sign a liability waiver stating you have been trained so it can be used in a court of law should it ever be needed.

BTW as @Eric2 pointed out, you will most likely get more practical advice/help here on the forum than from a trainer who who learned in a class and is limited by what they can legally disclose.

5 Likes

I went ahead and put my first pod on yesterday. Everything seems to be going fine. No trouble linking to my Dexcom G6. I’ve found that it seems to give .15-unit extra microdoses when readings are high and it will suspend basal doses when readings start getting low. Do the extra insulin doses get more aggressive as the device learns more about how you react?

1 Like

All of the algorithms are a little different, I use Tandem and it adjusts basal but it also gives boluses. I’m not sure if the pods will do that.

I find the boluses that tandem gives are smaller than I’d I do it myself so I often make corrections before my pump gets around to it. And I make a lot of corrections. Like 4-5 per day not including meal boluses. I do that because my pump has a set point higher than I want, and I really don’t mind.

5 Likes

Yes…mine started out the same but after 2-3 pods the micro doses got larger. Largest I have seen so far is 0.4 U in 5 minutes.

As far as bypassing the training goes, I did the same thing and it worked out fine so far. Good luck and be sure to keep everybody posted.

3 Likes

@Jim2 from what I have heard from users on other blogs it takes a minimum of 2-3 pods for the algo to learn you (in addition to what you entered as your base settings). Your corrections will get more aggressive as time goes on and the algo gets more data.

4 Likes

I am getting ready to order my seventh pump, I remember when my endo suggested that I try a pump rather than syringes… He said It would be sent to my house and when I get it, call me and I will set it up for you. Well when it came, he was on vacation. I picked up a book that I think was called Pumping Insulin and got the pump running without any problem. When I finally saw my endo again, I had been on the pump for over a month.

When I get my new smart pump, an Omnipod 5 or a Tandem, possibly I shall need some help.

3 Likes

I wnnt from a Medtronic pump that had cgm but no control software to my tandem, it was easy to set up and link the dexcom.
The problem was that my settings we very different. My average basal is 1 unit per hour now but was 1.5 per hour on Medtronic. Also my carb ratio had to be changed.

I don’t know why, and it took me a couple of months to get it working the way I wanted.

I will likely go to the tandem mobi when it gets released. I hope it will be a very simple switch since it will be using the same algorithm.

I tried a few pods a few years back and I liked them except for the fact you can’t see the insertion site to see if it’s irritated or if the cannula is in or out. Also I like to insert on an angle, which I couldn’t do w the pods. I do think they are an awesome option tho.

1 Like