Any type 1 still taking symlin?

Are any type !'s still taking symlin?

Yes, I started last August and am still learning how to use it effectively. I was able to lower my A1c from >8 to <8 with my curent dose of 45. I am still struggling in how to dual wave bolus with the Symlin for my protein and fat meals. I tried taking my insulin after I had eaten but I would forget 20-30% of the time so now I am taking Symlin 15 minutes before meal and insulin at start of meal (dual wave) when I have a better chance of remembering to dose. I started to take Symlin only to decrease post meal highs not for any weight loss benefit which hasn’t occurred to any significant amount. I don’t mind the extra shot (i use a pump and CGM).

Have a great day!

I am glad to hear your reply… It does take a while to get the dosing correct. I have been using symlin since 2011 and I like it but others seem not to be using it. It is seldom even mentioned at meetings anymore. I usally take the symlin when I start the food… I also only take half of the insulin that carbs would suggest. For me the action of the symlin makes the BG go low about 1 1/2 hours after eating. I have the time set on my pump so I give more insulin then. I also have the CGM which makes it easier to follow all this. I now take the 120 mcg with each meal.

You are right in it seems others are trying other ways to avoid the after eating spike by either dosing earlier or changing what they are eating it seems. I would rather figure out how to eat normal foods as much as possible by dosing and symlin. After I went on Symlin my doctor changed my insulin/carb ratio so I just bolus what my pump says unless I am without Symlin in which case I have to mentally change it back. When my doctor who was pushing for me trying different pre-meal bolusing also gave me the opportunity to use Symlin I opted for Symlin as I had already tried pre-bolusing to some degree and found it hard to remember to prebolus all the time. My doctor is a type 1 but I think he gets his good control from paying alot more attention to what he eats and alot of exercise than I do as I just eat what my wife puts in front of me except vegetables that I don’t care for. I haven’t been successful in having her switch out real sugar in recipes for artificial sugar yet.

Have a great day!

I really don’t know why people stopped using it. Maybe it didn’t reduce the A1c much but I definitely have fewer peaks and I eat everything I want. I eat toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and then meat, potatoes/rice, vegies for dinner… People keep saying “you should not eat bread”. I do skip dessert unless it is a special occasion. I do sometimes have peaks and valleys because when I work/teaching I mostly don’t want to go low. Now in the summer I can pay more attention to the CGM. The Symlin is not the perfect solution but I think it helps.I did find that after your body got used to it you need the increase the amount. That is why I am on the 120 mcg mark.

It sounds like we are kindred spirits in how and what we eat and the benefit we are having from Symlin. I still get a little nauseous at the 45 units on occasion so I will stick with that dosage for now. I feel my biggest benefit besides dropping from mid 8 to mid 7 A1c is my A1c is no longer a composite of +250’s and -50’s. I am lucky in that I do not have unawareness of my lows but I do tend to ignore them maybe too long before I make the time to treat due to life getting in the way while ranching, farming, & working in town.

Have a great day!