Anyone get gene testing? I have the T risk allele (CT) for TCF7L2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22109281

lots of associated problems with the T allele, but my CT is a little better than TT,

Translation?

My understanding is that it's fairly difficult to get the testing done unless you have a very supportive doctor that understands there can be a genetic component involved. Did you get testing completed through a doctor's authorization or through a Diabetes study?

I had gene testing, but it wasn't for diabetes. It's an expensive test !!

i had it done through the company 23andme. i had lots of stuff tested. the fda won't allow the company to interpret genetic data anymore, but i got mine done before the fda got involved. i think you can still get tested for $ 100, but you will have to go to snpedia.com to find info on the results. they don't do the MODY gene either.

they also tested me for several other gene snp's associated with diabetes, but in my health report, it was the TCF7L2 that was highlighted.

from what i understand, everyone has the TCF7L2 gene, but most people have the CC alleles. don't ask me to explain that since my understanding is very rudimentary. this gene seems to be involved in the processes affecting insulin secretion. if you have the CT of the worse TT alleles, you will have insufficient insulin secretion. also there are some associations with colon cancer, breast cancer and aggressive prostate cancer with the T 'risk' allele. I believe I got this from my mother who was never diagnosed with LADA (rather T2), but who went from taking metformin to being fully insulin dependent in a period of several years. she died from metastatic breast cancer. from the study i linked to people diagnosed with LADA, with the risk T allele, and who are thin, progress to type 1 relatively faster than other LADA's with a higher BMI.

From the study I linked to above: The T allele conferred equally strong susceptibility to LADA and type 2 diabetes. In the Hungarian dataset, the T allele was associated with LADA and type 2 diabetes, but not with type 1 diabetes. T allele carriers had significantly lower BMI than patients with the CC genotype in the LADA and type 2 diabetes groups (p = 0.0021 and p = 0.0013, respectively). In both diseases, the diabetes risk was significantly higher in the non-overweight than in the overweight BMI category (p = 0.0013 and p < 0.0001, respectively); susceptibility to LADA was increased by 2.84-fold in non-overweight individuals compared with overweight ones."