Anyone have any good book recommendations for diabetes

Hi Everybody , my friend referred me to join this group as she suggested it would help me to talk to people of the same type diabetes as me.

Does anyone have a book recommendation for managing diabetes? I have just finished reading The book"Don't mess with my sugar, Honey by Dr M Zilber.

It is a great book, a fabulous read and something that I can refer back to time and time again, If you think you knew all there was to know about diabetes, think again! I thought myself to be pretty clued up on all aspects of diabetes, until of course, I read this. Full of useful information, and the advanced sections of the book have proved to help me in ways I didn’t imagine before. Other books I have read on this subject have advanced literature too but are usually presented in a complicated manner and doesn’t give you real life examples and everyday ways in which you can utilise the information given. The book also covered the basics well, not that I needed that info, but good to know it can suit newcomers to the subject, A book for all types.

Any recommendations would be great and thanks for welcoming me into the group.

Since you say that you are type 2 in your profile a good starter book might be "Blood Sugar 101" by Jenny Ruhl. Since you use insulin another book that is a good resource is "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner. And finally my favorite reference book for diabetes is "Diabetes Solution" by Richard Bernstein.

+1

Those are exactly the three books I would recommend, in the order Brian listed them. "Diabetes Solution" is the best, IMHOP. Here are the formal citations for all three:

Jenny Ruhl, Blood Sugar 101: What They Don’t Tell You About Diabetes (Turners Falls: Technion Books, 2013)

Gary Scheiner, Think Like A Pancreas (Boston: Da Capo Press, 2011)

Richard K. Bernstein, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, 4th. ed. (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2011)

In addition to the great books about the "nuts and bolts" of diabetes, I recommend one that takes an emotional and philosophical look at living with diabetes. It came out about three years ago written by Eichten, entitled The Book of Better. It's slogan is that, "life with diabetes can't be perfect, make it better."

The author uses few words and ample graphics to illustrate his ideas. It's a philosophy that's stuck with me since I read it. If I can make my diabetes routine even a little bit better, then it's worth it. It sounds silly but, better is better!

Check it out; it won't take long to read. It's written by a T1D but its truth applies to all.

Taming the Tiger Your First Year with Diabetes. It's by William "Lee" Dubois. There is also a free PDF download available on this one also. I enjoy reading this. It'd down to earth and humorious at the same time. I keep going back to it often. The author is a Type1 but the information can be applied to all.

595-FreeTiger.pdf (1.15 MB)

Hi Bretto,

Here are a couple of good ones:

Successful Diabetes Management by Lloyd Mann

Beating The Odds: 64 Years of Diabetes Health by Richard A Vaughn

If you order from Amazon, you can sign up for Amazon Smile and a percentage of your purchase can be donated to DHF.

Reading is good for diabetics all around :)