Anyone withOUT a pump, but on Insulin been flying lately?

Hey guys! So in 11 days (YIKES) I’m flying to Florida. I have been scouring the TSA website and AVOIDING the TSA Scanner stories in the media because I don’t even want to TOUCH that subject. However, I am apparently not understanding what exactly I need to do in terms of carrying my insulin.

I keep my vials of Lantus and Novolog in a small case, with my meter, lancets, device, strips, syringes, and metformin. I know the vials don’t count as the liquids that have to go in my baggie if I “declare” them, meaning draw attention to the fact I have them and let the TSA know. Now, if I keep this case in my purse, and send it through the xray machine, do I have to do anything else? Or should I put them in my liquids baggie and send the REST through the xray machine? I have NO idea what to do, and I know each airport is a little different, but I don’t know if I should just walk up the guy checking my id before the xray machine and hand him my supply case. I don’t understand what the TSA website means, it just doesn’t make sense to me. I wish it was more clear cut. Any ideas?

When I fly with my pump I also carry extra insulin with me. I always put all my diabetes supplies in a large gallon sized clear baggie, all together. I put it deliberately by itself into a bin to go through xray. I never say anything to them - I figure they can figure it all out based on what’s in the bag. Never had any TSA agent ask about it, or tell me the insulin needs to be with other liquids.

I need to get a letter from my Diabetes Nurse or Doctor declaring that I am carrying insulins in my hand baggage as it is dangerous for the insulin to go in the hold of an aircraft in case it either gets too hot or freezes.

I carry the insulin in my hand baggage, wrapped in wet newspaper (or you could use a frio-wallet if you can afford one) with an ice block on top of it to keep it cool. It is always good to take at least double your normal amount for the time you are away - so if you are away for two weeks then take enough for a month.

When I go to the ticket desk to book on to a flight I will tell the checkin clerk that I am actually carrying insulin, explain briefly that it is vital that it should not go in the hold and that you may or may not need it on the flight. Have a good supply of needles too to cover delays and if you are going with someone else the best thing would be to halve the insulins and needles and get them to carry the half for you in their hand luggage. That way, if you should become separated from your handluggage and your friend has some you are able to continue your treatment. This is perfectly legal.

It can all go through the X–ray machine quite safely and you do not need to say anything. The operators are quite used to recognising diabetes equipment and usually do not have the time or inclination to bother with it but you should keep your letter on you in case there is any officious or in-experienced operator and there should be no problem.

I suggest that you test your sugars before the security checks and before you board and aim to run your sugars a little higher than you would normally to avoid a hypo at any point. I had a massive hypo just after I got on a plane - shaking, sweating etc and because it was just after the London bombings the stewards were a bit scared that I was a nervous terrorist!

Before you go through security you will need to discard any water or drink - you can always buy more boarding side. If you think there will be delays just take a packet of glucose tablets with you or some candy.

I wish you a good flight and safe journey and I hope you have a good trip

Actually, diabetics can take juice with them, if it’s sealed. I carry juice boxes with the rest of my supplies. I was asked once about it, by an agent. I explained it was in case I went low and he let me take it through. Other times, I haven’t been asked.

I’ve never had an issue. I just package it all together in a large zip lock baggie, vials (pens in my case), needles and lancets and if needed, extra in a frio where it’s can be clearly seen in the xray. It is NOT included in the 1 baggie per person of liquids. I was pulled over once because I mistakenly placed my husbands zip bag in my carry on and they then asked if I was Diabetic. I usually carry my frio in the outer pocket of my computer bag and the insulin supplies in the same bag or another carry on. Never had to explain anything to anyone. If someone starts to give you a hard time just very politely ask for a supervisor but I think you’ll be fine. And Kari is correct, you can carry unopened juice on board but if you do you will more than likely have to explain to someone along the way. I usually just carry glucose tabs.

Keep your supplies on you all of your supplies if your bag gets lose you are fubared. They may hand check your bag after scanning but you are allowed unlimited supplies, Insulin must be in marked vials.
Copied from TSA website
Notify the Security Officer that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you. The following diabetes-related supplies and equipment are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened:

Insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products (vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, biojectors, epipens, infusers, and preloaded syringes;
Unlimited number of unused syringes when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication;
lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, alcohol swabs, meter-testing solutions;
Insulin pump and insulin pump supplies (cleaning agents, batteries, plastic tubing, infusion kit, catheter, and needle); Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin.
Glucagon emergency kit;
Urine ketone test strips;
Unlimited number of used syringes when transported in Sharps disposal container or other similar hard-surface container.
Sharps disposal containers or similar hard-surface disposal container for storing used syringes and test strips.

Insulin in any form or dispenser must be clearly identified.

If you are concerned or uncomfortable about going through the walk-through metal detector with your insulin pump, notify the Security Officer that you are wearing an insulin pump and would like a full-body pat-down and a visual inspection of your pump instead.

Advise the Security Officer that the insulin pump cannot be removed because it is inserted with a catheter (needle) under the skin.

Advise the Security Officer if you are experiencing low blood sugar and are in need of medical assistance.

You have the option of requesting a visual inspection of your insulin and diabetes associated supplies. See the Medication section below for details.

Haven’t flown recently but go through security everyday for work

I put my Frio wallet with insulin in a separate plastic bag w/ Rx & request a hand inspection. I don’t want insulin going through X-ray. I’ve never had a problem. I put my meter & strips in the bag also just to keep everything together. Meters & strips can go through X-ray machines.

I fly out of the same airport as you:)

You’re right about different airports, or maybe just different personnel, being different. I put an insulin vial in a tupperware wrapped in a washcloth and packed with a hard-sided cool pack. It went through the airport fine here, but in Chicago, the security guy was poking the icepack. Not easy to do, because, as I said, it was a hard-sided kind. I asked what he was doing, and he told me that if it was thawing, he would have to throw it away.

TSA guy is full of it. If they pull that ask to talk to a supervisor it is for medical use and therefore can go through.